Google 'Assistant' Reportedly Will Surpass Siri

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Not one to sit on the sidelines for very long, Google has plans in the works to create a new Assistant product on the lines of Apple’s Siri, but with all of the personalization you could want drawn from Google’s cross-platform information integration.

One can only imagine that as Google consolidates individual user data from across its products it will soon be able to better know how it can help you, privacy concerns notwithstanding.

Does anyone outside of the Apple commercials actually still use Siri? Great for marketing, not much else. I know I couldn't care less if I had a similar feature on my Droid.

I use public transit a lot; I have a hard time talking on the phone as is (sort of an etiquette type thing, as I myself am not fond of other people babbling incessantly at high volume without regard to others). I don't think I can find myself using it much outside of novelty when in company of friends or for pr0n when I am alone and lazy :D

I have never seen it used outside the novelty in front of friends bit. To it's credit it, it's answers to "Where can I bury a body" is hilarious.

I have to agree with those who posted before me. This technology is nothing but an annoyance to me. The only consumer electronic "device" I want to talk to is home automation. If I'm already holding my cell phone, I want to use it's touch interface. Voice commands on a cell phone are like voice commands on your television's remote control. Who would want to pick up their TV's remote, push a button, and say channel 4-9-8, instead of hitting 498? IMO, voice controls are for devices without a physical interface. If the device has buttons, you're wasting our time.

I am smelling some marketing BS from Google to convince the masses on the merit of the new privacy policy. Google is going to use it in the fight with the EU that their new privacy policy is all for the good of the people, no evilness intended.

I use Siri while driving often. It's actually pretty nice in that respect.

In public, no.

I have to agree with those who posted before me. This technology is nothing but an annoyance to me. The only consumer electronic "device" I want to talk to is home automation. If I'm already holding my cell phone, I want to use it's touch interface. Voice commands on a cell phone are like voice commands on your television's remote control. Who would want to pick up their TV's remote, push a button, and say channel 4-9-8, instead of hitting 498? IMO, voice controls are for devices without a physical interface. If the device has buttons, you're wasting our time.

I think it depends on the complexity of the interface. If it's detailed enough, being able to use voice commands for certain operations could be a nice time-saver.

But in Android's case, I've never thought as though performing everyday operations was so tiresome that I'd rather use voice commands. And since I'm usually out and about with my phone, why the hell would I walk to walk around broadcasting to everyone what I'm doing?

I'd much rather see Google focus on addressing Android's fragmentation.

I am smelling some marketing BS from Google to convince the masses on the merit of the new privacy policy. Google is going to use it in the fight with the EU that their new privacy policy is all for the good of the people, no evilness intended.

If this is actually what they produce with the result of the new privacy policy, how is it marketing BS? Seems like Google would be doing exactly what they told everyone they would be when they announced the new privacy policy.

Although out of curiosity, what exactly do you consider "evilness", and what "evilness" can they do with the new policy that they couldn't with the old?

I find it useful in one situation and one situation only - "navigate to <place>". I use that one all the time in the car. It's also one case where something like Siri completely and utterly fails due to the lack of navigation in iOS.

Good speculation on this one. A system coming out in ~9 months will outperform something that came out last year.

Good speculation on this one. A system coming out in ~9 months will outperform something that came out last year.

This isn't hardware dude. This could come out 10 years from now and if the implementation is shit it wouldn't matter.

Unless it's VASTLY better than Siri, I think it'll end up as nothing more than a novelty. Siri has failed me more often than not, at least in my cases.

Voice assistants are rarely used as is. I have an iPhone 4S, as well as many of my friends, and have used Siri to just test it out. Voice assistants are still buggy and limited, although they have evolved quite a bit from previous voice recognition services.

Voice assistants are rarely used as is. I have an iPhone 4S, as well as many of my friends, and have used Siri to just test it out. Voice assistants are still buggy and limited, although they have evolved quite a bit from previous voice recognition services.

Agreed!

The old voice actions present in Android for at least a year prior to Siri coming out works fine. It'll create emails, texts, etc with minimal distraction if you want it to. The only thing I use it for is for navigation.

"Navigate to (name of business or address)" and it gives me voice guided turn by turn... that's golden right there...

Back