memory problem on sabertooth p67

diego10

n00b
Hello,
I have a sabertooth p67, which was recently running fine with a i5 2500 and 2x4gb corsair vengeance modules at 1866, 1.5volts. I got an i7 2600k with a bigger cooler and some kingston hyper X 2x4gb 1600mhz 1.65 volts for the lower profile. I put them in the same memory slots (2 and 4) as before but it wouldn't boot, so I tried just one on slot 2 and it booted. Then I tried the other stick on slot 2 and it didnt boot. Then I tried the stick that didnt boot in slot 2 on slot 1 and it booted. But when i try to add the other stick in slot 3 or 4 (depending on whether I have the other in slot 1 or 2) it wont boot. I tried lowering the voltage manually to 1.6 and 1.55 and it works but still with just one stick. If I set it to 1.5, when I reboot it still comes up as 1.55. Is there anything else I can try, or do I just have to go back to the stock cooler and the corsairs (or another low profile memory with 1.5 voltage?) I don't want to change the cooler because then it defeats the purpose of the unlocked cpu. MemOk hasnt done anything for me either. I cant return the memory either because I bought it on a trip for the lower price, I can sell high here but I'll have to buy high too. Has anyone gotten the khx1600c9d3k2/8gx running on a sabertooth p67?

Two things i can think of off hand.. Have you checked to make sure you have the latest bios update? Did you try setting the Dram Voltage to 1.65 in the bios? Also from what i can tell, the dark brown slots should be the primary slots (A1/B1).
Asus boards usually arent that picky with Kingston DRAM, its usally what i recommend to customers who want to upgrade.
Oh one last thing.. on this board, make really sure the bottom of the sticks are pushed at the bottom all the way in b4 locking in the top. I had the same prob with this board b4 with diff memory.

Thanks for the reply Rami. I hadn't thought of updating the BIOS (it never seems to fix anything for me) but I tried- again no luck.
Its definitely not a memory seating problem, because I always give the stick a little tug on both sides before plugging the PSU back in, and I've tried about a billion different times.

I'm going to try and mod the cooler a little so that the corsairs fit, but first Im going to try and get the kingston mem running in another PC, otherwise I have to sell them regardless, in which case I'll look for another low profile mem. Lesson learned- never buy memory that needs more than 1.5v. Mem makers should be forced to put the voltage in the product name if its so finnicky.

kingston hyper X 2x4gb 1600mhz 1.65 volts for the lower profile

Do you know that 1.65V ram is not supposed to be used with SB processors? I would return that if possible and get 1.5V ram.

Ok, now Im even more confused :mad:

I took out the kingston memory that would only boot with one dimm in, and put it into the other computer I was going to build (a H67 chipset board) and it worked immediately with both dimms, though at 1333 (I know this is max for the H67 so no problem). So far so good.

I was able to modify the cooler so that the corsair memory would fit with their tall heatsinks. I put the memory in the same slots they were working in before (2 and 4). I boot and now have the same problem as with the kingstons- the computer will only boot with one stick in either slot 1 or 2, but if I add another stick to the corresponding slot I get the mem error led on.

I tried to revert back to the bios version I had before with which this memory did boot with both sticks in- Asus update says Bios flash succeeded but doesnt do anything, and the EZ flash tool tells me it is an obsolete bios version and wont flash it.

Any ideas of what to do now? thanks again for the help

I have a similar issue, sabertooth p67, i5 2500k, corsair vengence 2x4 Gb (8Gb) dual channel.

The modules have worked just fine in my previous rig but on the sabertooth as soon as i put a memory in either B1 or B2 i get a boot loop.
It won't even go as far as to post beep just keeps boot looping.

I can run both rams just fine in the A1 and A2.

Did you find any solution to this or did you RMA your board?

Back