CPU Cooler Clearance Advice Requested

dvicci

n00b
Greetings,

I'm looking at building a new system using the upcoming Corsair 550D, and would like some advice/confirmation regarding my choice of CPU cooler.

The cooler I'm looking at is the Noctua NH-D14 (with the requisite NM-I2011 Mounting Kit), and has a height of 160mm.
The Corsair 550D has a width of 221mm.

That leaves 51mm clearance.

My understanding is that there's about 25mm of space behind the motherboard tray for cabling, which leaves about 25mm of space in front of the motherboard tray.

Do you think 25mm is enough clearance for the motherboard spacers, the motherboard, the socket, the chip (i7-3820), and finally the cooler? Unknown is exactly how much space the sound-damping material will take up, but I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 3-5mm.

I appreciate any advice and help you can give, including alternate coolers, if you think with a certainty that there won't be enough room for this one.

The motherboard will be the ASRock Extreme9, and the RAM the [ RipjawsZ ] F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL, both of which are on the compatibility list for the NH-D14.

(I checked, and none of the questions in the sticky "Asking for Build Help?: ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" are relevant, but I can certainly answer them if need be)

Are you asking if the D14 fits in the 550D? If so, the answer should be yes.

Your math is off just a bit...

221mm wide case - 160mm high cooler = 61mm of clearance. About 25mm behind the tray, that's 46mm left, another 25-30mm to the top of the motherboard and CPU - that leaves you about 16-21 mm left, or just under an inch to the side panel.

It should work pretty easily. I haven't tried it myself, but it should fit. I'll take a look in the office next week when I get a chance. If you buy it and it doesn't fit I'll hook you up.

Are you asking if the D14 fits in the 550D? If so, the answer should be yes.

Your math is off just a bit...

Well, math has never been my strong suit. I failed Algebra 101 my freshman year of college and had to retake it. Then I aced calculus three years later. Go figure. Thanks for the correction, I like your numbers better.

It should work pretty easily. I haven't tried it myself, but it should fit. I'll take a look in the office next week when I get a chance. If you buy it and it doesn't fit I'll hook you up.

Much appreciated, sir! I'll know soon enough. I just ordered the 550D from the Egg, and assuming prompt shipment, I'll have it and the rest of the gear (to be ordered tomorrow) within the next couple of weeks.

Back