Google’s New Privacy Policy Violates EU Law

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Google might be in hot water with European regulators over its new consolidated privacy policy.

Asked in what respects the policy could be breaking EU law, Reding said: "In numerous respects. One is that nobody had been consulted, it is not in accordance with the law on transparency and it utilizes the data of private persons in order to hand it over to third parties, which is not what the users have agreed to."

It is no surprise they waited until the day the policy took effect to say anything.

It takes Europe to awaken the giant from its slumber and point out the short comings of its own policies of allowing :"One is that nobody had been consulted, it is not in accordance with the law on transparency and it utilizes the data of private persons in order to hand it over to third parties, which is not what the users have agreed to." nothing more needs to be said, other then who is looking after the American peoples interests. Thats right, Corporations have been given the green light, many years ago to be able to self regulate because they know whats best for the American people.

It takes Europe to awaken the giant from its slumber and point out the short comings of its own policies of allowing :"One is that nobody had been consulted, it is not in accordance with the law on transparency and it utilizes the data of private persons in order to hand it over to third parties, which is not what the users have agreed to." nothing more needs to be said, other then who is looking after the American peoples interests. Thats right, Corporations have been given the green light, many years ago to be able to self regulate because they know whats best for the American people.

Sorry wrong thread

If only our government was competent enough to raise their hand and say something similar.

Again, this is the internet people. Why is this any different than you calling some phone number in another country that records everything you say without your knowledge? Yeah that my violate your countries laws, but that phone number did not originate there.

Again, this is the internet people. Why is this any different than you calling some phone number in another country that records everything you say without your knowledge? Yeah that my violate your countries laws, but that phone number did not originate there.

Its not the same thing. If you make that call from inside Europe, you have to follow European laws.

Google has a corporate presence in Europe.

Oh No, companies make money when people use their stuff! The sky is falling!

Give me a break. Your privacy is your responsibility not the responsibility of faceless corporations or their government puppets. They can't share any info about you with third parties if you don't give them any. Don't use their stuff. Problem solved.

I disagree, respect is mutual and just about anything we do both on and off line. If a person agrees to the provide info that doesn't mean the receiver of the info can use the same info to whatever he wishes without any accountability! It's no different to companies like banks, DMV and other govt institutions. Otherwise, we might as well legalized them to come into our systems and houses to get whatever they want if we don't hold them accountable.

They aren't changing any policies, they aren't adding new ones, they just streamlined what was already there ... people are just getting upset because they finally realize oh hey look, google isn't doing all this stuff we love to use outta the kindness of there hearts....

So what if they didn't consult anyone, they shouldn't have to. You agreed to the terms when you used the service, if you don't like it, don't use it.

They aren't changing any policies, they aren't adding new ones, they just streamlined what was already there ... people are just getting upset because they finally realize oh hey look, google isn't doing all this stuff we love to use outta the kindness of there hearts....

So what if they didn't consult anyone, they shouldn't have to. You agreed to the terms when you used the service, if you don't like it, don't use it.

But surely, there should be limits...

humanCentiPad01_press.jpg

So, if you do not like Google's policies, do not use Google Search, do not use Google Voice, do not use Gmail, and most of all do not use Youtube. The same can be said about everything else under Google. Oh and I forgot, do not use Android. Anyway, This is all that needs to be said. However, I do feel like this is not how things will turn out for many. Many will bitch up a storm and yet continue to use these services.

Indeed... if you don't like it. Don't use their services. Now, I'm not saying their privacy policy is awesome... but eh... I'm sure there are worst out there, and you probably don't know about it.

No surprised like someone said, that they only brought it up now. Most likely EU will try to sue or fine Google for more money.

(I've also only read a brief on the new privacy policy, so maybe I'm missing something, but feel free to point out parts that worry you.)

I find it interesting that the EU is making comments about whether or not the new privacy policy is legal without reading the fucking policy first

That is obvious because this: "it utilizes the data of private persons in order to hand it over to third parties, which is not what the users have agreed to." is completely false. All that will happen as a result of this is companies will continue to silently change the privacy policy, because being well intentioned and making sure everyone knows the policy is changing is clearly a bad move. If Google had silently changed it like everyone else does, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Also I find it incredibly weird that people expect an opt out for a privacy policy change. When has that *ever* happened?

Back