Raspberry Pi Launched, Sold Out In Minutes

HardOCP News

[H] News
Right on time, the Raspberry Pi launched today and promptly sold our within minutes of going on sale. Traffic to the site is so bad they had to change to a static site until the traffic subsides. :eek:

Six years after the project's inception, we’re nearly at the end of our first run of development – although it’s just the beginning of the Raspberry Pi story. Now we start developing educational tools and initiatives, at the same time as continuing research and development on Raspberry Pi hardware.

After spending from about 12:30 to 2 I managed to only get a pre-order before they even closed those :rolleyes:

Order.PNG

No US distributors make it hard to order one here in the states. One of their retailers was charging a non refundable $20 to place the order. Once completed, you where told shipping and export taxes would be charged to your CC but they did not say how much these charges would be.

It would be nice if they would tell us, when the non UK people will get any of these.

It would be nice if they would tell us, when the non UK people will get any of these.

Well I'm the US and my order was accepted with a Virginia address and I see the charge on CC, lets hope to no issues!

Well I'm the US and my order was accepted with a Virginia address and I see the charge on CC, lets hope to no issues!

You're pretty lucky!!! I'm sure there are a few [H] members who got one but most of us were left with nothing. After about 10 mins of the Premier Farnell failing to load I gave up.

Wow completely forgot about this. I was hoping to pick one up. Oh well I guess I'll just have to wait.

I never saw an order go up on either manufacture website, but I signed up for the alert to tell me when the units come in from China...i'm just glad it's not a batch of 10K anymore. I can't wait to play with this little gizmo; i wonder what the case will look like once they spec that out in the summer...

Nooo! Guess I'll be getting mine next month. Yay for release, been waiting a while now.

Hmm, I wonder how one of these things would work as a super cheap HTPC alternative. It supposedly is capable of blu-ray playback. Buy a cheap external BD-rom (saw one on Newegg for like $60 or something), give it access to your home network, and boom, HTPC for $100. Granted, I've literally looked at this thing for all of 5 minutes, but I assume this would probably work.

After spending from about 12:30 to 2 I managed to only get a pre-order before they even closed those :rolleyes:

Order.PNG

Were you able to pick what linux flavor it came with? I noticed it's got Debian/Arch and Fedora as the 3 listed choices on the wiki page.

Were you able to pick what linux flavor it came with? I noticed it's got Debian/Arch and Fedora as the 3 listed choices on the wiki page.

It doesn't come with any OS, or even an SD card. I am going to be using Debian however.

Is this "Sold to Consumers" or "Sold to retailers" who'd mark it up 1000%?

They intended this release to be for Dev's to help start development with the unit. From what I can tell, it's sold one per person to anyone who could get passed the F5 crapstorm early this morning.

Just for those who aren't aware of the spec/performance:
  • 256MB RAM
  • 700 MHz ARM CPU
  • SD Slot
  • HDMI out
  • RCA out
  • Ethernet

They say it's Xbox 1 graphics, 1080p out, and some other goodies. It'd make for a very small footprint HTPC :)

Hmm, I wonder how one of these things would work as a super cheap HTPC alternative. It supposedly is capable of blu-ray playback. Buy a cheap external BD-rom (saw one on Newegg for like $60 or something), give it access to your home network, and boom, HTPC for $100. Granted, I've literally looked at this thing for all of 5 minutes, but I assume this would probably work.

From what I've seen one of the XBMC developers was playing with one of the preproduction samples they sold on ebay a while ago. Havn't looked into it recently, but if it can work with XBMC and the video chip can decode 1080p x264 content it'd make a bad ass, cheap HTPC.

Well, there goes any possibility of me getting a carputer setup soon.

my thoughts exactly lol. I was gonna try and get a couple of these for that very purpose and well a few other things.

i think lot of people want this for a cheap xbmc.

That is what I am planning to do. Buy a bunch and make it into xbmc for all my friends for xmas. Way cheaper than buying 10x 2tb hdd and giving it for my friends.

I'd sure like to get my hands on one of those adorable little things. Hopefully stuff like this can help mainstream Linux, and maybe we could actually have a little competition with Windows someday.

I suspect it will be a while before I am able to order one, but I am very glad about their success.

rascap.jpg

I stayed up till 2:30 EST last night to get my order in (constant 500 server errors) and Expected date is April 23...

I stayed up till 2:30 EST last night to get my order in (constant 500 server errors) and Expected date is April 23...

I just got that as well> Liz on Twitter was saying they could be available as soon as two weeks so hopefully it's not quite until April...

I wonder what about this as a car PC...

Hook it up to a USB 7" touch monitor and route the thing to my glove box.

Anyone have an idea when more will be available?

This computer is meant for poor school kids to learn programming on. Every one you buy is one less for them.

Or everyone you buy, makes it more likely to survive....since it'll have way more people wanting it to be capable of more and writing/adapting programs to it.

And it looks cool, Im waiting to see how it goes for other people's uses. I know I'd like to use one for a pfsense installation if it turns out to be viable.

Back