Download Windows 8 Consumer Preview

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's the official link to the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. So far the downloads are pretty damn speedy for a 3.3GB file (32-bit version is 2.5GB).

Windows 8 Consumer Preview is prerelease software that may be substantially modified before it’s commercially released. Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the information provided here. Some product features and functionality may require additional hardware or software.

Downloading x64. Still about 50 minutes to go, sigh I hate living in the sticks (or more exactly, swamps.)

Yeah downloading x64 have about 28mins left. Making and image of the C drive and getting ready to format and install as soon as its done.

Downloading now, going to install on a Laptop here at work.

I am downloading CP right now and I'm watching the live event as well. I've got mixed feelings really. And not really happy feelings. I've been around computers since atari 8 bits and always enjoyed being part of the progress we've been through in IT as a whole. Well... Not any more. They are turning Windows into a mobile phone style os. Sure you can still use your old desktop apps, but the focus is clearly somewhere else. We are loosing our freedom to use what we want. Walled garden anyone? I am not saying it's wrong (although deep inside I've got this very feeling), but that's what is gonna happen. Computers are converging towards consumer electronics... Same as TVs, microwaves, mobiles, tablets... My point is, I guess, is it cool to be geeky about microwave ovens? ...

Running it...man I'm not impressed...start button is gone. Took me a minute or two to find the taskbar on the right hand side when using desktop mode....blaahhh

FYI...it runs good in virtualbox. The latest version has start up settings for Windows 8.

Running it...man I'm not impressed...start button is gone. Took me a minute or two to find the taskbar on the right hand side when using desktop mode....blaahhh

That's what I was afraid of. :(

15mins left on my download.

Downloading too... But Anandtech reports this release doesn't have Start button either, but instead has four "hot corners".... This maybe a BIG FAIL for me.... Not a tablet user, never will be....

How are you guys installing it? Separate partition, flash drive, VM, etc?

How big of a flash drive do I need?

Can i install this using the windows 7 virtual pc application or do i need vmware?

I'm going [H]ard.

Main OS on my laptop. I was in need of a reformat anyway.

X2 on the flash drive size question.

I a got a new hard drive for my x220t, clean install. Sorry guys, this fucker is awesome. Works just fine with a keyboard and mouse on my x220t. Touch is smooth, and the pen is working just great, handwriting recognition is fast and accurate out the box.

This OS is looking like the most powerful thing ever to run on a consumer device.

What do you mean you couldn't find the taskbar? Assuming you mean the charm menu, I don't see what the big deal is. Its a brand new feature so how could you know exactly how to use it?

As for the start button.....only the picture and part of the space for the button is gone, it works exactly like it did in the dev preview.

I really wanted to like it but so far I just feel like the OS is fighting me ever step of the way with a keyboard/mouse. I could see this working for a touch screen however.

I thought I would install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview so I could play around with it a bit. It took 21 minutes to install from a DVD and rebooted four times in the process. If you plan on using Windows 8 in the future, I highly recommend you grab the preview and try it out because it is very, very different from anything you are using now. :cool:

I thought I would install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview so I could play around with it a bit. It took 21 minutes to install from a DVD and rebooted four times in the process. If you plan on using Windows 8 in the future, I highly recommend you grab the preview and try it out because it is very, very different from anything you are using now. :cool:

I'll have to try a fresh install on a computer lying around. When I installed it on a VM from the ISO download it install in about 5 minutes total and seems to basically instant restart. I just gotta see if I can get used to the corners... thing...

The start button is gone? Thank freaking god. That archaic useless item was good 17 years ago when it was introduced. Today it is completely worthless except for chumps who are stuck in the 90's. Do you still rock a mullet and listen to Billy Ray Cyrus?

The start button is gone? Thank freaking god. That archaic useless item was good 17 years ago when it was introduced. Today it is completely worthless except for chumps who are stuck in the 90's. Do you still rock a mullet and listen to Billy Ray Cyrus?

Agreed. I'm glad MS finally has the guts to try something different. Sure it will take time to transition and get used to a new way of thinking about how you operate your PC, but improvements cannot be made if we just sit there and use the start button forever and ever.

I can guarantee that the start button method of navigation is far from optimal.

Look at OSX and Ubuntu. They don't have or need a start button and work beautifully.

Looking forward to installing this Preview tonight :)

I remember everyone bitching about the move from windows 98/2000 to XP. Hell even I bitched about it. But after SP1 came out I made the switch and eventually got used to it. Same thing from windows XP to windows 7... Been rocking a windows 7 box for about a year now and wouldn't think going back to XP. I'm sure it will be the same with Win8. Although with the way I upgrade. I will likely run Win7 and the when Win9 SP1 comes out, thats when I'll make the switch.

Agreed. I'm glad MS finally has the guts to try something different. Sure it will take time to transition and get used to a new way of thinking about how you operate your PC, but improvements cannot be made if we just sit there and use the start button forever and ever.

I can guarantee that the start button method of navigation is far from optimal.

Look at OSX and Ubuntu. They don't have or need a start button and work beautifully.

Looking forward to installing this Preview tonight :)

Just my opinion but if you think Windows 8 is a step forward then you must be drunk or high. Start button on this thing would have made it better. :(

Back