Google, Apple Sued Over Street View Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why in the hell would someone wait this long to sue over Street View? What's that you say...the company doesn't even have a website? Heh, they probably didn't even know Street View existed. :D

The lawsuit, picked up by PaidContent, says both companies knowingly infringed on U.S. Patent No. 6,563,529, issued to developer Jerry Jongerius in mid-2003. That patent covers an "interactive system for displaying detailed view and direction in panoramic images." In the suit, that's described as the Street View feature, the one that lets users see 3D imagery of the street, as captured through Google's Street View camera system.

another great example of how the patent system is broken

While guys like this annoy me, I'd still love to see Google lose if not for karma on all the privacy invasion they're doing lately.

While guys like this annoy me, I'd still love to see Google lose if not for karma on all the privacy invasion they're doing lately.

*Pssst*

Facebook is 100x worse than Google....and you dont even have to be signed up for facebook....

Need I say......TROLL!

What are you talking about? No one was even discussing Facebook, TROLL, and if they were, I'd have put them in the same bed as Google.

Seriously?

Problem is with compensation system. Patent holder has to demonstrate to the court that

1. How will he convert his conceptual design into actual product.
2. How will he get investment for his product?
3. Where is he going to build factories?
4. How will he market his products?

If he can't come up with a convincing idea, he will get a symbolic $1000.00.

I really think the way patents should work is that you MUST USE whatever you patented, and whatever it is, it must be publicly available. Whether it's a product that you buy, or a service, it HAS to be publicly available to everyone. They also need to lower the time it lasts. It should be like 1 year. A patent should be to help a creator get a kick start, not monopolize. This stuff needs to end.

Another thing, patents should only work if the idea actually does not already exist.

I have no problem with street view, in fact I think they should repass all streets every couple years and allow you to "go back in time", it would be awesome in 20 years from now to be able to go back to see how your house or other buildings looked like, for example. If Google can perfect their self driving cars it would also make this easier to accomplish. Obviously there would still need to be a driver, but he would just be on standby and not really have to worry about knowing what streets got done and which ones have not, the system could figure it out, and figure out the most efficient way to cover all the streets.

It's sad that with the patent system a company's concept can be taken away from them just because some other company does not want them to offer that service.

What? That is stupid. How would Google paying money to a patent troll in any way, shape, or form have any impact whatsoever on privacy? Even if the alleged "privacy invasion" is actually real (which IMHO it isn't), them paying some random asshole money for something completely unrelated isn't going to change that.

google and facebook simply collect data people are willingly giving away... so get over it or stop using google products and facebook, no one is forcing you to.

Anyways, unless this person has a working product, tough shiet.

How about a time limit for filing patent infringement documents? If a product/service is common knowledge, and you feel that it violates a patent you own, you have 1 year to file a dispute. No more of this "we're going to wait several years, until you've made a boatload or two of money, and then go after you." If you won't defend your patent/copyright in a timely manner, you lose it.

But hey, why keep throwing bandaids on the system when it needs an overhaul?

I really think the way patents should work is that you MUST USE whatever you patented, and whatever it is, it must be publicly available. Whether it's a product that you buy, or a service, it HAS to be publicly available to everyone. They also need to lower the time it lasts. It should be like 1 year. A patent should be to help a creator get a kick start, not monopolize. This stuff needs to end.

Same thing should apply to copyrights. If you don't make the book/show/movie reasonably available (you can't just release 20 copies of DVD for $10,000 each), after a number of years it should automatically fall into the public domain.

There should be a statute of limitations in place for patent lawsuits. Wait too long, it's your own fault. Patents are for 20 years, but you shouldn't be able to wait for 20 years to sue a know infringer.

I do believe that things like pharmaceuticals should have limits on how long their patents can be maintained, so that generics can manufactured to lower health care costs. 20 years should be plenty to see an ROI.

Shining Stone from the late 1980s/early 1990s called and wants their Sega Genesis game idea back. There was very clearly a map you were navigating that represented the dungeon with 4 clickable button on the screen for 'Up' 'Down' 'Left' and 'Right' that would move you one unit in that direction and then present you with the new view :D.

Exact same way Google Street View nagivation works except with cartoon images, 16-bit color // (256 colours) and the occasional run in with monsters resulting on the very slow loading of a battle screen.

This guy's suing makes him seem like patent troll and if anything, I'd hope the patent gets anulled for being a common-idea liscence type-situation where was far back as the late 80s/early 90s people have been using this system in video games. Really, all that's changed is much better visual quality and you click on the arrow rather than use the 'D-Pad' on your genesis which ironically had the exact same 4 arrows.

There should be a statute of limitations in place for patent lawsuits. Wait too long, it's your own fault. Patents are for 20 years, but you shouldn't be able to wait for 20 years to sue a know infringer.

I do believe that things like pharmaceuticals should have limits on how long their patents can be maintained, so that generics can manufactured to lower health care costs. 20 years should be plenty to see an ROI.

With drug costs, you could almost made that 5 years or 10 years in the name of better overall health/welfare for citizens. You can be through that drug companies would try to redefine the word 'drug' lest things like 'nanobots' become 'drugs' due to possibly being designed to assist with health-care.

The googer has lots of money and lawyers.

I am sure they will find a way to stop this patent troll.

does that include Bing ? so how can companies know if there is a patent already signed out there, is there a search system of some sort?

Well, it can't be too wide a net, since it wouldn't be financially viable for the troll then... this is a high-stake game to play really, given the exposure and the scope of the street view.

Same thing should apply to copyrights. If you don't make the book/show/movie reasonably available (you can't just release 20 copies of DVD for $10,000 each), after a number of years it should automatically fall into the public domain.

Yes for sure, I agree with that too.

What about eh Myst series? When are they gonna get sued for their navigation system? Or Scumm, or 3d gaming... wtf, stupid STUPID patents

Back