post code AF?

Filter

[H]F Junkie
as i feared ive had this motherboard isnce dec15 and ive just now got a cpu to use it.

motherboard is a ramapge 4 extreme socket 2011

when i tyr to boot i get the post code AF

ive tired 8 different memory chips 4x8gig sticks and 4gig sticks. ive tried only using 1 stick as well and all same result. ive removed the mos battery same thing

anyone know what a post code af is? motherboard book isnt helpful

Are you not getting Display output? Check the connection to your monitor

Are you not getting Display output? Check the connection to your monitor

ive done that.

ive tired 2 diffrent video cards. gtx580s 8 diff ddr3 sticks differnt sizes and configurations 2 different PSU and still says AF on the debug LED>

its probably the connection on your monitor

i had the same issue it was the displayport on my monitor

Really its not the monitor. checked it with my other monitor. a computer ill boot with no monitor hooked up. this wont even post. DEBUG led says AF

hmmm would i get this error code if i didnt have the current bios? it says there is a newere one for support for the 3820 but how can i load it if i cant get in to do it?

i was right thebios needed to be updated to the newest to be able to use the 3820

i wish someone would of told me this. on the ROG boards you can flash the bios with out a vid card cpu or memory in the board.

this would of saved me from ordering a bios and having it shipped.

I wish I would have seen this earlier, could've saved you some money :(

save that bios chip. i got "AF" out of the box on my first p9x79 and 2 weeks of use with the second board before it hit again.

So I just got that same mobo and CPU combination and I'm getting the same issue, and well I'm not a hardware pro... still learning... could someone explain how I update the bios? thanks!

PS. I'm not even getting a boot screen, the best I got was some Asus text on the screen then it went blank again, I already tested all the hardware by using the mobo speaker and verified that it was not posting errors for any hardware...

Okay, so I just tried updating the bios following that guide, no luck, tried trouble shooting with ROG connect and the only info I got was "00AF" and "Detect Memory" so I proceeded to switch out RAM dimms in and out and swap them into other slots and no luck... if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it..

I guess I should give some info on my hardware, this is what I got.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme/BF3 LGA 2011 Intel X79
CPU: Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E
GPU: XFX Double D 7970
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw Series 16GB (4x4GB)
Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
PSU: Kingwin LZP-1000W
CD/DVD: Lite-on DVD
Keyboard: MS Sidewinder X4
Mouse: Mionix Naos 3200
Monitor: Asus VS248H-P 24" HDMI LED Backlight
Cooling: Corsair H100 / Arctic Silver 5 Thermalpaste / 1x140mm + 8x120mm + 1x200mm Xigmatek Red LED Fans

Note: I double checked the QVL for my memory and found the 8GB (F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL) version of my ram but not the 16GB (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL), the one I own, on there. However, it's the 4x2 and mine is 4x4, I'm not sure if this could be the problem.

Any suggestions as to what my next step should be would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend upping your memory voltage, since your using four dimm slots then you may want to up your memory voltage by at least .05v.
I'm running the same memory as you are and I'm running it @ .1v over stock and it's not batting a eye at the extra voltage.

So I tried booting with one dimm, two dimms, three dimms and four dimms, noting worked...

I could try the voltage... but I'm not sure that would change anything considering I have tried all configs, also, how could I change that considering it's not booting? Through ROG Connect?

So I called Asus today and they asked me to do the following:

Remove the battery from the mobo

Attempt clearing the CMOS by pressing the "refresh button" on the back of the motherboard

Change the memory from the dimm indicated by the manual, the first red dimm from left to right on the right side of the CPU to the first black one (Only using one dimm for trouble shooting purposes)

Now I'm getting Post Code B5 "PCI bus hot plug" not sure what it means, can't find much useful info online, anyone?

You sure you didnt leave any extra standoffs in the case that could be grounding out the back of the mobo?

a friend of mine suggested I check that as well, but I'm sure I only placed the ones I needed and used all of them, 9 in total, 2 of which were already on the case by default so only 7 on my part.

I don't want to disassemble all just yet considering I already placed the video card, watercooling and all the cabling... :S

I just called Asus tech support and informed them of this new B5 code and they are supposedly going to get back to me with more info, I guess once I get that I will consider if it's worthwhile checking for extra standoffs...

Reattempted resetting the CMOS memory, reformatted the USB to FAT32, replaced the bios file and renamed it "R4E" as instructed, unplugged everything and went step by step, finally worked :)

However... when I tried setting it to auto overclock I couldn't boot again lol so no OCing for now :) at least no Auto OC

Thanks to those who tried to help out!

Back