WoW Boosts Cognitive Functioning In Some Older Adults

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to researchers from North Carolina State University, older adults show an increase in cognitive functions after playing World of Warcraft for 14 total hours over a two week test period. Yet another reason to be a gamer and stay a gamer, no matter what your age. :D

“We saw significant improvement in both spatial ability and focus for participants who scored low on the initial baseline tests.”

Yeah, I always felt like gaming would be a pretty well-rounded way of keeping an older individuals faculties sharp. Coordination, reaction times, memory, would all be kept practiced while not really requiring a lot of physical effort, in the case of the elderly who may not be so mobile anymore.

Yeah, I always felt like gaming would be a pretty well-rounded way of keeping an older individuals faculties sharp. Coordination, reaction times, memory, would all be kept practiced while not really requiring a lot of physical effort, in the case of the elderly who may not be so mobile anymore.

I'm actually interested in what a nursing home is going to look like in 50-60 years. Instead of sitting around staring at TVs and waiting for grandchildren to show up once a month, we'll be having LAN parties and shooing children away from our PCs, they're lowering our KDR.

Being old is going to ROCK!

I'm actually interested in what a nursing home is going to look like in 50-60 years. Instead of sitting around staring at TVs and waiting for grandchildren to show up once a month, we'll be having LAN parties and shooing children away from our PCs, they're lowering our KDR.

Being old is going to ROCK!

Yeah I have to admit, while part of me is hoping I don't live long enough to end up in a home, I think being old is going to be a lot more fun for our generation. Just think of the rigs we'll be able to put together in 30, 40, 50 years!

Yeah I have to admit, while part of me is hoping I don't live long enough to end up in a home, I think being old is going to be a lot more fun for our generation. Just think of the rigs we'll be able to put together in 30, 40, 50 years!

I'm more looking forward to the part to where I tell those young'uns to GTFO my lawn :D

Most of us are already getting old mentally, despising the current generation of games and reminiscing about the games "back in our day." :eek:

I'm more looking forward to the part to where I tell those young'uns to GTFO my lawn :D

My wife and I are going to sit in our rockers on the porch, and turn the sprinklers on people that don't walk by fast enough. Of course, she'll probably still be playing Facebook games. :rolleyes:

According to researchers from the Florida State University and the University of Illinois video gaming does not increase cognitive function.

At first glance, the cumulative evidence suggests a strong relationship between gaming experience and other cognitive abilities, but methodological shortcomings call that conclusion into question.
http://www.frontiersin.org/cognition/10.3389/fpsyg.2011.00226/full

So it's basically the exact opposite of xbox live.

So wait, video games won't bring out violent tendencies in people, but they can boost hand eye coordination, or cognitive functions... riiiiight.

Why not just say certain stimuli tends to make our brains work a bit differently.

This answers so many questions, they're sucking it out of the 'youts' who play.

Yeah, but then we're going to have senior citizens hanging out in gangs, smoking, and sstealing other seniors' social security checks to buy prescription medicine and Geritol.

Assuming we will have any kind of income as senior citizens, then we can talk about having rigs.

Assuming we will have any kind of income as senior citizens, then we can talk about having rigs.

If you want guaranteed income as a senior citizen...since boomers are just now retiring and will be for 10 more years...don't give up your guns.

Welfare and Social Security came about because FDR saw what happened in Russia, and didn't want a revolution here. (It wasn't about being humanitarian, trust me.)

Back