Microsoft Plans to Ditch Live, Zune Branding in Windows 8

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With the upcoming release of Microsoft’s new Windows 8 operating system beta within the next week, more details of what we might expect are emerging. The key to Windows 8 is simplicity and Microsoft is integrating some old favorite titles in the process. We should be hearing more about Windows 8 this week from Microsoft at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

Microsoft would never dare kill the Xbox Live brand, which is one of the most powerful platforms in the entire company’s repertoire.

well according to the Boston Research Group, (a business buzz phrase for this analysis) zune is a low growth, low market-share product which makes it a 'dog'. You get rid of dogs because they cost you money and have little hope of turning into a star product.

well according to the Boston Research Group, (a business buzz phrase for this analysis) zune is a low growth, low market-share product which makes it a 'dog'. You get rid of dogs because they cost you money and have little hope of turning into a star product.

This reads like the definition of the BRG quadrant like it's from an Economics textbook.

Microsoft can't seem to stick with one name very long, aside from "Windows".

They dropped GFW LIVE and turned it into "XBOX"...which isn't a very clear term and it's the name of another game device... All the GFWL PC games just moved into a tiny "PC" section at xbox.com. Which just make it seem they are abandoning PC gamers even more.

but... but.. my derelict live.com email address from when they tried to migrate me off hotmail and it failed.. @.@

Microsoft can't seem to stick with one name very long, aside from "Windows".

XBox, Internet Explorer, SharePoint, SQL Server, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio. Pretty major products with names that have been around longer than the iPad though only two have a consumer audience.

They dropped GFW LIVE and turned it into "XBOX"...which isn't a very clear term and it's the name of another game device... All the GFWL PC games just moved into a tiny "PC" section at xbox.com. Which just make it seem they are abandoning PC gamers even more.

Either that, or the currently-seems-ridiculous-but-who-knows rumor that Windows 8 will play Xbox games natively is in the plan.

well i'd be happy to see more marketing BS go. telling me everything is LIVE! is about as bad as putting a little i in front of it.

Either that, or the currently-seems-ridiculous-but-who-knows rumor that Windows 8 will play Xbox games natively is in the plan.
Word around the rumor mill is that the next Xbox will be x86 based, will run some version of Windows 8, and will use switchable graphics technology (so it'll use a small integrated GPU most of the time, and fire up the big GPU when you want to run a game).

This would effectively make the next XBOX a PC running windows (with a known set of hardware for game manufacturers to target).

At that point, they could extend the Windows Logo Certification program with an "XBOX capable" category. If an OEM builds a PC that meets or exceeds the minimum requirements, they could slap an "XBOX Capable" sticker on the machine. With the official Xbox being so PC-like, the idea is that when Windows 8 detects that it's on a PC fast enough, it enabled an Xbox compatibility layer and lets you run Xbox games like the official console.

Word around the rumor mill is that the next Xbox will be x86 based, will run some version of Windows 8, and will use switchable graphics technology (so it'll use a small integrated GPU most of the time, and fire up the big GPU when you want to run a game).
360 was rumored to be x86 based. What benefit would an integrated GPU be?

Back