Light sensitive users! - what's similar to a Dell 2007WFP?

Hey!

So I have a 2007WFP @ home and it's great. Very easy on the eyes compared to say, U2410 or G2410 which we have @ work. Before I go hunting down for some 2007WFP's, I wondered if any of you have any suggestions.

Thanks! :)

Whoops! Yeah, it's an S-IPS. The G2410's we have @ work are TN's and they suck. The U2410's are H-IPS and blind me, haha. I don't know what it is about that panel, but it's harsh.

EDIT: I'm also wondering if the "loose" .27ish dot pitch on the 24's have something to do w/ it.

Have you tried messing with your U2410 at all? Turning down the brightness, calibrating, etc?

Yup. Even @ very low brightness, it bugged me. I got rid of it a long time ago. The guys @ work have them set to the Sun. I can see it reflecting off their faces.

Have you tried turning the monitor brightness all the way up, then using the video card options to turn the contrast down? This can help determine if the backlight is in fact causing problems for you.

I'm using a 2007wfp as well (pva version), though I've used it so much it can't output more than about 120cd/m2 anymore and I always run it at full brightness.

0.27 dot pitch is basically middle-of-the-road, isn't it? Take a look at a comprehensive list of displays and their dot pitches, you'll see what I mean.

You're right. I'm just a bit biased because the 2007's just so damn beautiful!

I'm not sure what it is, but I can read off this thing so much easier than the G2410's @ work.

I have a Asus led lcd I bought two of them a few months ago. 21.5 inch

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VE228H-2...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330577988&sr=1-1

I have my settings on like 50 Brightness and 30 contrast or something I only use it for one or two days a week for gaming. The trick is the buy a Antec led lcd Bias light strip and put that on the back of the monitor it's USB so you can use your front USB ports to unplug it when it's not in use. With out the Bias lighting my eyes get pretty strained =)

Nvidia EVGA card settings are at 20 Brightness 20 Contrast and the rest of them are default. I had old XFX Nvidia card before the EVGA and found the EVGA was better then the XFX card quality issue I think.

I wasn't able to use a flat screen for years untill led monitors came out still can't use flat panel TV sets because I supect of all the light. SO I haven't watched TV in about 9 months. If I really need to watch something on TV I'll just look for a stream online.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks. I do actually have a little LED lamp behind the pc @ home. Work is all lit up though. It's definitely much better wo/ the LED's flickering. Blacks ARE grey though due to the cranked brightness, lol.

Comixbooks
if monitor is too bright then why not decrease brightness in monitor? :confused:
you shouldn't really be altering contrast in monitor and definitely shouldnt touch brightness and contrast setting in vga panel...

you made image quality to be pure crap, but why? :confused:

why do such a thing? :confused:

Last edited:
It seems LED backlit panels flicker on/off when set at anything other than 100. I can confirm lowering this on a Dell G2410 causes near instant headaches. Unfortunately, it completely washes out the image and yes, looks horrible.

I got the Dell U2412m's in today and they're even worse. I'm giving up on LED panels for awhile. They hurt. :/

Dunno man, all I can say is I have a U2410 right next to a 2007FP at work and they look the same to me. Not out of the box, of course, but I clamped the U2410 to sRGB colours and then fed them both to my i1Display Pro and the end result is two displays that are visually the same.

LCD monitor backlights adjust their brightness using a PWM switch. At 100% brightness, the backlights operate at many thousands of Hz; as brightness is decreased, so does the Hz of the backlight. At very low brightness levels, some backlights may dip below 200Hz, which may bother those with eyes sensitive to flicker.

LED monitors are LCD monitors that use LED backlights instead of CCFL backlights. Both CCFL and LED backlights use PWM switches. The main difference between CCFL and LED is that LED backlights are cheaper for the manufacturer to use.

Yes, I am saying both LED and CCFL backlights flicker.

Dunno man, all I can say is I have a U2410 right next to a 2007FP at work and they look the same to me.
Same, its just that the U2410 gave me headaches.

Yes, I am saying both LED and CCFL backlights flicker.
Makes sense. Both G2410 and U2412m have LED backlights, but U2412m causes more pain. Both 2007WFP and U2410 have CCFL backlights, but U2410 gives me an instant migraine.

I'm just gonna hunt down a pair of 2007s for work.

Went to Fry's for kicks and came home w/ an Asus PA246Q. I'd never heard of this model until today. I still need more time cause I had a headache before using it, but I gotta say this thing kicks the U2412m in the teeth. The colors, gamma, and contrast are nearly perfect! It feels at least as fast, but the it lacks the insane glow from the e-IPS panel. Even @ 0 brightness, I still have fantastic gamma. Text looks better too. I do believe I may have found a winner!

Another one bites the dust! Viewing the monitor first thing in the morning gave me a better idea of what to expect...more headaches. I also noticed white text turning pink when dragged around or scrolled with low brightness. There's an almost red tint like the U2410.

Swapped it out with a Samsung S27A950D this morning after reading a review on egg that mentioned 450hz PWMs on the LED backlight of the S23A700D. Ill update the thread later today or tomorrow. Its too nice outside for that now. :p

Happy Saturday everyone!!

Back