Too Much Time On Twitter is 'Unhealthy'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Twitter's co-founder says spending too much time on the site is unhealthy.

Biz Stone, a cofounder of Twitter, told an audience in Montreal this week that spending up to 12 hours a day on the platform is not necessarily a great idea. “To me, that sounds unhealthy,” he said on Wednesday at the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal business conference, according to a report in The Guardian.

I still have yet to meet someone that actually uses twitter. :confused:

It's not hard to imagine people spending 12 hours a day on twitter. This social media thing is out of control and people are doing less face to face interaction. Look at any street scene. Look at the number of people walking around looking down talking on their cell phones. They look like zombies who can't figure out what they are supposed to be doing. Meanwhile twitter and cell phone companies are smiling and watching all these stupid asses while raking in the cash.

Hmmm I wonder if he will change his mind once Twitter becomes a publicly traded company and his wealth explodes...

It's amazing that so many people think that others care what they are doing every moment of the day.

I'm not talking about people on Facebook that make the occasional post, but about those that tweet about then being in line getting coffee. NO ONE CARES.

I still have yet to meet someone that actually uses twitter. :confused:

I do. It's all in the way you use it. I don't use it for the social networking stuff. I use it to find posts to up to date - up to the second - news from around the industry. Sometimes, you find out about stuff on Twitter before it's released anywhere else. Other than that, I wouldn't have a use for it...

At least he kept his response within 140 characters. :)

Too much of anything is unhealthy, so I don't see why Twitter would be any different.

Even water is unhealthy if you have too much (it can literally kill you).

Maybe twitter numbs your brain's higher processing powers as well?

I know one thing, I and anyone else, benefit from reading good books. I just don't do it as much as I should. Every once in a while it's just healthy to read profound text that forces us to slow down and think about what was said.

Maybe twitter numbs your brain's higher processing powers as well?

I know one thing, I and anyone else, benefit from reading good books. I just don't do it as much as I should. Every once in a while it's just healthy to read profound text that forces us to slow down and think about what was said.

Keep your profundities under 140 characters or I will get bored.

It's not hard to imagine people spending 12 hours a day on twitter. This social media thing is out of control and people are doing less face to face interaction. Look at any street scene. Look at the number of people walking around looking down talking on their cell phones. They look like zombies who can't figure out what they are supposed to be doing. Meanwhile twitter and cell phone companies are smiling and watching all these stupid asses while raking in the cash.

I am actually doing a self analysis of myself and noticed how detached I was becoming to the world. It was highly due to all the social mediums I could find to interact with people. Over the past two weeks I have been keeping contact with people face to face and almost on the verge of getting rid of my two smartphones aswell...I am finding it a lot stress free and non-intrusive to my life and enjoying living without these mediums. I am not sure how I could before..but it's possible.

I find that broadcasting every inanimate detail of your life is a unhealthy activity. Maybe the hardcore tweeters should take a break for a few months.

Too much of anything is unhealthy, so I don't see why Twitter would be any different. Even water is unhealthy if you have too much (it can literally kill you).
Yep. Water, apples, running on a treadmill, having a conversation, breathing...all of these things are slowly killing you. The trick is: avoid the things that kill you faster. I don't think Twitter is one of those things :)

Back