Facebook Profiles Accurately Predict Job Performance

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study says that your Facebook profile lets employers know what kind of employee you will be. Quick, remove all those embarrassing posts and pics from your FB page! :D

That’s the advice of a new study from the Northern Illinois University, the University of Evansville and Auburn University. The researchers recruited a group of four Facebook-savvy human resources professionals and students to evaluate the Facebook profiles of 56 users. The four perused each of the profiles for about 10 minutes each before grading them according to the so-called Big Five personality traits (openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness and neuroticism).

Let's file this in the "no shit" drawer along with 80% of these studies we hear about. I had to find coop students for a small IT company I used to work for and if their email address brought up a facebook page, please believe we'd check to see if they were involved in some nonsense or couldn't articulate themselves without cursing 80% of the time.

Made it easier to filter all the candidates we had to go through.

Sample pool of 56 people and a fairly obtuse method of "grading" Facebook profiles. This is a "study" at a major university? Pathetic.

So what does NO facebook page say about me?

1. Introvert?
2. I have something to hide?
3. Too lazy to bother with a Facebook page?
4. Too busy doing my job to have time to play on Facebook?
5. Technophobia?
6. Paranoid?
7. I actually have a real live and don’t need to pretend I have one on Facebook?

Sample pool of 56 people and a fairly obtuse method of "grading" Facebook profiles. This is a "study" at a major university? Pathetic.

Well it's HR people, what do you expect? They are rarely more intelligent than the custodians. An associates/certificate in pyschology at the local Community College? Some business management classes? ::twirls finger::

Title:
Facebook Profiles Accurately Predict Job Performance
Body:
Kluemper says there hasn’t been enough research yet to show a definitive connection between Facebook profiles and job performance.

Hyperbolic article is hyperbole.

1. Introvert? um....
2. I have something to hide? who me?
3. Too lazy to bother with a Facebook page? Magic 8 ball says: Reply hazy, try again
4. Too busy doing my job to have time to play on Facebook? Absotootly sir!
5. Technophobia? wait, this guy posts on [H]ardOCP...
6. Paranoid? not wearing tinfoil hat....check
7. I actually have a real live and don’t need to pretend I have one on Facebook? :D

answered!

1. Introvert?
2. I have something to hide?
3. Too lazy to bother with a Facebook page?
4. Too busy doing my job to have time to play on Facebook?
5. Technophobia?
6. Paranoid?
7. I actually have a real live and don’t need to pretend I have one on Facebook?

Yeah but posting about it then throws all this out the window completely.

I don't think that works if you're trying to get a job and the employer wants to do a thorough check. It's his right after all.

Its actually not his/her right, after all. There are serious legal repercussions if a company can be proved to have used fb to discriminate in hiring.

...Not that I agree with that, but that's how it is.

It is their right to verify your job history, criminal record, education, and SS. But we all know they pull your credit history now as well. Now, social sites are another source of data that they can use, because there is no law that states that they can't use it as a basis for hiring.

In this day and age, I don't think you can "prove" that they didn't hire you because of discrimination. (unless they have a really really bad HR group) Corps are very careful about covering their tracks now so if they are investigated, they can show that there was no discrimination because their process complies with the law. So any information they can get their hands on about you is fair game.

I was recently involved in a job interview process where I passed a guy for senior management approval (I do the second round interview) and had high praise for him. I heard the day after that we didnt hire him - purely because he had no facebook. "We dont want anti-social hipsters" was the exact quote from my manager. I laughed and shrugged. True story though. This is a IT firm with over 4000 software developers.

It is their right to verify your job history, criminal record, education, and SS. But we all know they pull your credit history now as well. Now, social sites are another source of data that they can use, because there is no law that states that they can't use it as a basis for hiring.

In this day and age, I don't think you can "prove" that they didn't hire you because of discrimination. (unless they have a really really bad HR group) Corps are very careful about covering their tracks now so if they are investigated, they can show that there was no discrimination because their process complies with the law. So any information they can get their hands on about you is fair game.

thank you.

Back