Company Suing Apple Over iPad Name Open to Talks

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying this company is in it for the cash but...they are just in it for the cash. Then again, if the most valuable thing you owned was the iPad name, you'd probably want to get paid too.

The lawyer for a Chinese company suing Apple Inc. in China over its use of the iPad trademark indicated Tuesday that his client would be willing to discuss a settlement. Xie Xianghui, lawyer for Shenzhen Proview Technology, said that since no final decisions have been reached in various legal disputes over the issue, both sides are "still able to sit together and reach an out-of-court settlement."

From the information I read on this earlier, I think Apple is in the right. Apple claims they rightfully bought the name quite a while ago, but one of the companies handling the changes didn't fully complete the task.

Okay, so if they owned the rights to the iPad name only in China and then sold the rights to the name. Would it not be fraud for them to supposedly sell Apple the rights to the name outside of China?

iHope apple loses. They patent all kinds of stupid crap everyday

Live by the sword, Die by it.

Nice to see apple's lawyers get their asses handed to them.

They probably just clicked agree to the 68 page agreement to transfer the trademark, not noticing it excluded mainland china.

what I never understand is all the people that claim to own this idea or that idea, why didn't this guy come forward 2 or 3 YEARS ago?

Personally I wouldnt mind apple being forced to shell out a couple hundred million to this guy - but it just seems like if someone really cared about their patents and ideas and names you would defend them at the FIRST sign of trouble.

They said "stupid crap", thats just total patents. Samsung and other actually make technology, including most the stuff inside the iphone. CrApple mostly patent nonoriginal stupid simple things like holding a phone wrong and slide to unlock, mostly for the purpose of suing others. :p

iHope apple loses. They patent all kinds of stupid crap everyday
While it is annoying to see all the news for it, I can see why Apple does it. Everyone copies them. How ticked off would you be if you designed something and someone totally ripped it off? Android ripped off Microsoft code and Apple ideas. This is why Apple files for patents. And, by looking at the patent graph in this thread, Apple files a low number of patents in comparison to other major electronic manufacturers.

Like I said, I too find all the patent wars annoying. But the reason they're there is because the business world does not respect another's intellectual property unless they're forced to by patents.

They said "stupid crap", thats just total patents. Samsung and other actually make technology, including most the stuff inside the iphone. CrApple mostly patent nonoriginal stupid simple things like holding a phone wrong and slide to unlock, mostly for the purpose of suing others. :p

Makes sense. Those other companies' patents are all "non stupid crap" and they don't sue.

lol what I find oddly funny about the whole thing is that ProView says this only after Apple threatens them (yesterday) with legal action for defamation. From what I've read about ProViews financial situation, it seems like Apple is in a position to destroy them financially if they really wanted to.

They will pay dearly for these atrocities!!! The Holy Apple would bring its full force to bear on ProView!!!

Any of you ever had a ProView monitor? Last one I had only lasted about 2 years and then decided to die.

I bought it on sale at Walmart.

It was an "ok" 20" wide screen LCD. Picture quality wasn't great, contrast wasn't that great, and viewing angle wasn't that great.

From what I saw from reviews of other monitors they made, they pretty much were mediocre.

That is probably the main reason they aren't doing well.

While it is annoying to see all the news for it, I can see why Apple does it. Everyone copies them. How ticked off would you be if you designed something and someone totally ripped it off? Android ripped off Microsoft code and Apple ideas. This is why Apple files for patents. And, by looking at the patent graph in this thread, Apple files a low number of patents in comparison to other major electronic manufacturers.

Like I said, I too find all the patent wars annoying. But the reason they're there is because the business world does not respect another's intellectual property unless they're forced to by patents.

I would be more sympathetic if Apple didn't do the same. That said I hope Apple wins this.

Meh, I'm standing by Apple on this. They went to this company years ago to buy the rights to the name, however this latest suit says that he never agreed to let them use the name inside China, considering that was the ONLY place where the name MAY have been known it's retarded to think he pulled a fast one on Apple lawyers.

Now he's "open to talks" over the name, which translates to "we were only in it for the money, we really don't make any money off our products"

This is why Apple files for patents.

Ouch, that hurt my feelings :rolleyes:

No SHIT shirlock, I think we all understand why companies like apple patent stupid shit.

FYI: I'm not mad at you or anything, kinda just playing around here, I don't lose any sleep over this stuff, I promise, and I hope you don't either ;)

what I never understand is all the people that claim to own this idea or that idea, why didn't this guy come forward 2 or 3 YEARS ago?

Personally I wouldnt mind apple being forced to shell out a couple hundred million to this guy - but it just seems like if someone really cared about their patents and ideas and names you would defend them at the FIRST sign of trouble.

It's not 'a guy', it's a company. As for why they didn't come forward years ago - they did, they sold the rights to Apple to use the name for $55,000 but they didn't know they were dealing with Apple. The name was practically worthless to them (it was a name of a computer they made right after the iMac came out - basically a Chinese copy of the iMac and they named it iPad and they haven't used it again since). They sold the rights to the name for $55,000 to another company who then sold it to Apple. Later after Apple announced the iPad, Proview realized 'Oh crap we could have got a lot more, we didn't know we were really negotiating with Apple' and demanded $10 million for the name they'd already sold. Now, the iPad has become a success and despite having sold the name previously multiple times they now want $1.6-2 billion for the name.

Mind you from the start it's all been a copy of Apple's iMac anyway. Here's what their iPad looks like: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/18/introducing-the-original-ipad/

Back