The Pirate Bay Faces UK Blockade

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you ever wonder how much money has been wasted trying to block access to the Pirate Bay. I am not advocating piracy, I'm just saying that the amount of time, money and resources used to take them down is mind boggling.

High Court Justice Arnold has sided with them, claiming The Pirate Bay does not only enable or assist copyright theft, but actively encourages it. “I conclude that both users and the operators of [The Pirate Bay] infringe the copyrights of the claimants … in the UK,” said the judge in a written statement. The judgement paves the way for a court order for ISPs to start blocking their users access to The Pirate Bay. A final decision is expected in June.

But if the pirate bay goes down, that would mean no more access to torrents! Just like how until it appeared the shutdown of napster stopped people getting unlicenced copies of music!

If "copyright theft" was to happen, then the entity who "stole the copyright" would now have it in their possession and be the one collecting the royalties. I haven't heard of that happening at the pirate bay, only at places like RAMBUS.

"[alternate news source here] does not only enable or assist critical thinking, but actively encourages it." The judgement paves the way for a court order for ISPs to start blocking their users access to news with the exception of state approved sources. We ARE the BBC:Do not resist.

Ahh the U.K. where freedom is a crappy 125x125 resolution black and white video. Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

Doesn't Top Gear actively encourage speeding as well? Considering they always drive their cars at high speed? And in the recent Italy trip they were actually speeding along the highway (unless there's a 120mph speed limit in Italy? LOL), so they were quite worried when they were hailed by the police. It just so happens that they were "working" (i.e. recording for the show) and that there shouldn't be any "work" in a Sunday.

And usually in the news, they go "We're not telling you to do <something bad>, but that you can do <something bad>.", or "You should follow <some rule/regulation>, but it's up to you if you won't.", etc.

And Top Gear's a BBC show. LOLOLOL

But if the pirate bay goes down, that would mean no more access to torrents! Just like how until it appeared the shutdown of napster stopped people getting unlicenced copies of music!

No kidding! They should satisfiy the UK government by offering to remove every torrent file from their server/website.....and start using magnet links as the primary with no secondary option =D.

Once ACTA goes into effect, there won't be a need for a court order to censor a website. The worst is yet to come.

Pot farmers can rest easier knowing they aren't the hot target of ridiculous proportions.

If anyone here hasn't seen "Everything is a Remix 4" then you're missing out. This video explains how nothing is original, and how copyright laws were changed to protect companies ability in making money.

What Pirate Bay does is nothing different then anyone else has done. It's pretty obvious that copyright law is totally out of control.

I'd rather live in a world with no commercial media than a world where governments/corporations can shut down websites as they please.

Back