2x eyefinity 6 = 12 displays ?

timdas

n00b
Hello
Is it possible to use a dual PCI-e Motherboard and 2 PowerColor 6870 Eyefinity 6 Graphic Cards (without Crossfire) to display different or seamless content to 12 different displays?
Will my Windows 7 64Bit and ATI Drivers see and extend on all 12 displays ?
And what MB can handle this ?
Thank you.

You might be able to do it....do 2 6870s will not have the legs to game on it.

op doesn't seem to be interested in gaming, he even said - no crossfire, so I assume he just needs 12 display output capability. I'd say - yeah, it should work, but I suspect it's gonna be hard to find a driver that would work properly for this.

TehQuick, your are right.
i don't want to use it for gaming but to display different content to different displays in a showroom.
What do you mean by driver problem, do you think that ATI 12 drivers will not work ?
Also what Mother board have enough power to drive 2 eyefinity 6 cards ?

TehQuick, your are right.
i don't want to use it for gaming but to display different content to different displays in a showroom.
What do you mean by driver problem, do you think that ATI 12 drivers will not work ?
Also what Mother board have enough power to drive 2 eyefinity 6 cards ?

It's not the MB so much as the power supply.

any motherboard with 2 16x pcie slots will do, but do invest in a quality PSU in 800w range. AMD drivers are funky, especially when it comes with some weird stuff like driving 12 displays at the same time :) But what do I know - maybe you'll get lucky and won't have to deal with driver crap at all, but it's not always smooth sailing if your believe multiple stories on the topic (I mean, one thread is stickied in this forum!)

ugh..i thought that AMD Athlon II X4 640 AM3, 8 GB ram and NOX URANO II 530 will do the work :( ...how do a system react when the power supply is not enough?
Does anybody tried to put 2 eyefinity cards (even if not the 6 output version) together ?

It should work - I have tested 10 monitors on my HD6950 Crossfire setup (one is an ASUS DCUII w/6 outputs, the other an XFX with 4). I know there is a 10-monitor limit for the Windows control system in XP, but I don't know if that limit applies to Win7-64bit. The real problem is what software are you using to display content on the monitors? PowerPoint can support multi monitor setups but only with third-party software added.

@chithanh: unfortunately the 2xHDMI splitter is not an option because I want to display a panoramic video clip to the extended displays (not a clone pair of two)

@rtangwai : I want to display a panoramic videoclip so i'll use VLC in wall mode or a VJ software called Resolume 4 in which you can choose the output

You will have no problems plugging monitors into both video cards and used "extended" desktop mode in windows7. However, in extended desktop mode, the video will full screen only to the one default monitor. You will have to run windowed mode and drag the video resolution to stretch all the monitors.

If you want it to work seamlessly, you need to create one big eyefinity array. However, i'm not sure if eyefinity is limited to a single card or will it recognize the inputs from both cards?

However, i'm not sure if eyefinity is limited to a single card or will it recognize the inputs from both cards?

Eyefinity is limited to one card last I heard. nVidia does allow to do eyefinity (surround) with two cards but that's because they have fewer outputs.

@chithanh: unfortunately the 2xHDMI splitter is not an option because I want to display a panoramic video clip to the extended displays (not a clone pair of two)

@rtangwai : I want to display a panoramic videoclip so i'll use VLC in wall mode or a VJ software called Resolume 4 in which you can choose the output

That should work - I tested VLC in wall mode on a 3x2 monitor layout using 3 video cards in XP (this was several years ago) and it worked for me. Obviously you want to make sure your source fits the super-wide layout you are proposing. What is the resolution of the monitors you are displaying to?

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but it's highly relevant. Anyone have new info on this kind of setup? I need to drive 12 screens as one big one instead of the ops individual outputs.

Can't be done - Eyefinity is limited to 6 monitors. The reason for that is simple, all the monitors in an Eyefinity setup must be plugged into one video card and the limit for AMD cards is 6 outputs. If you aren't using the monitors as a SLS by using spanning applications then you can easily go 12 monitors - I personally have done 17 as an experiment and I normally run 7.

So i can run 2x6 screen cards, then with software combine it into 1? that might work. what kind of software?

Yeah it will work. I currently have 2 6 port cards that will allow me to do 12 displays in total.

Depends on what you are doing - if you are playing videos then VLC will do the trick nicely. If you are doing video games then unless they have a windowed mode your are SOL.

Back