Accelero 7970 VRM Temps too high?

I installed the 7970 Accelero Xtreme on my Sapphire 7970 and while I'm very happy with the GPU temps, I checked the VRM temps during Furmark and am getting over 100C!

Is this bad or are VRM temps supposed to be higher than the GPU?

Mine goes into the 100s too, I can't imagine the VRMs being cooler when cooled by stock heatsink due to it being one gigant heatsink and sharing the heat with the main chip itself.

anything you don't have to pay for?

Mine goes into the 100s too, I can't imagine the VRMs being cooler when cooled by stock heatsink due to it being one gigant heatsink and sharing the heat with the main chip itself.

I never actually checked my stock cooler vram temps.

Can anyone with the stock cooler post theirs? Just download HWinfo32 (http://www.hwinfo.com), and in Sensor Status window click on Configure and then enable VRAM monitoring if not on by default.

I've always had this issue with ATI cards... their VRM temps go crazy... I water cool using a core block and I'll have to stick a 120mm fan directly over the VRMs cause they get so hot. I quit using ATI cards after the 5870 but every ATI card I've had the VRMs would get extremely hot.

Mine barely broke 75c on the stock air coolers, so I would say 100c is way too high. On water they don't go over 50c.

My Asus DirectCU 2 Top edition 7970 VRMs hit 100C too at 1125/1575. I'm surprised at this to be honest, but I'm guessing the VRMs on these cards just get pretty hot.

My Asus DirectCU 2 Top edition 7970 VRMs hit 100C too at 1125/1575. I'm surprised at this to be honest, but I'm guessing the VRMs on these cards just get pretty hot.

well, Asus DCU2 has different VRM setup from the stock so it's not directly comparable. Sounds like though the custom cooler on your card doesn't cool vrms too well either, unlike the loud stock cooler. Might want to try to change the thermal paste or whatever it is on the VRMs to insure better contact with cooler (if any). Having a part of GPU reach water boiling temperature is never good - even if the VRMs themselves can take it, it doesn't mean neigbhoring chips (like RAM) can do the same.

BTW, how long does it take to hit 100c? and under what kind of stress (i.e. gaming, benchmarking, or plain stressing with furmark)?

i don't use furmark... so isn't directly comparable but my vrm's hit 60c after 3 consecutive rounds of heaven benchmark at oc in sig. i wouldn't use furmark, gaming is not going to stress your vrms like it will.

well, Asus DCU2 has different VRM setup from the stock so it's not directly comparable. Sounds like though the custom cooler on your card doesn't cool vrms too well either, unlike the loud stock cooler. Might want to try to change the thermal paste or whatever it is on the VRMs to insure better contact with cooler (if any). Having a part of GPU reach water boiling temperature is never good - even if the VRMs themselves can take it, it doesn't mean neigbhoring chips (like RAM) can do the same.

BTW, how long does it take to hit 100c? and under what kind of stress (i.e. gaming, benchmarking, or plain stressing with furmark)?

I dunno, I just game with BF3 at 2560x1440 with ultra settings and 2xSSAA. It taxes the GPU at 100% with this and that's where the VRMs hit 100C.

Just ran 3 loops of Unigine Heaven DX11 Benchmark all settings maxed out 1920x1200 stock cooler with custom fan profile.

GPU temp maxed at 67c.
VRM's temp maxed at 53c.

Next up.. BF3.

bf3 oc in sig, 100% gpu load, 62c max on vrm. custom fan profile. played just shy of an hour.

Last edited:
My 7970 with stock cooler and voltages

clock 1200/1600 running Furmark Burn in test

max temp GPU 85C, max temp VRM 77C

Seems the stock coolers are the best for the VRMs still.

The stock cooler has that entire plate to absorb the heat. Looks like the aftermarket sinks that come with the AC are rather smallish. Much smaller than the ramsinks and GDDR5 does not get nearly as hot. Wonder what the biggest sinks you can fit under the Accelero are?

Been looking around at the 7970's that come OEM aftermarket cooling. Most of them don't seem horribly concerned about the VRM's getting how. Check the tiny single bar covering the row of VRM's at the rear of the card on the Gigabyte card. Pics here:

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 OC Video Card Review

The MSI card uses a single plate much like the stock cooler. Pics here:

MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC Review

^^^ I like that solution. Much more surface area and the actual GPU cooler could be the Accelero's twin brother.

Moar reading... wonder if swifty is planning on making one for the 79xx series and if one would fit under the Accelero?

HD6970 Heatsink

I'd be all over one of these + Accelero for the GPU itself.

Accelleros have always sucked with VRM temps. I learned my lesson hard with the 5870 and won't make that same mistake again. The VRMs constantly overheated and limited any potential overclock I might have had. VRMs are the real mountain to climb for overclocking, not so much the core.

why not ask Gabe about that? :) But I doubt he'll go out of his way to make it compatible with Accelero ;)

I already shot off a email to Swifty support to see if/when they are planning one of these for the 79xx series. Swifty does not seem to offer an all air GPU cooler. Who is this Gabe fellow? :confused: Heck.. I'd mod one of these to work with a Accelero as they are not horribly expensive to begin with. :D

AFAIK, Gabe is the owner/CEO of the swiftech :D

I've been buying their products for a loooong time and I still did not know who he is or have his home phone number. i guess that email will have to suffice. :D

I've been buying their products for a loooong time and I still did not know who he is or have his home phone number. i guess that email will have to suffice. :D
well, no need for his home phone number, he's a regular at xtremesystems forum.;)

Stock cooling/voltage for asus 7970. VRM's see 67c and gpu around 78c with fan at 50% while gaming.

As I posted in your other thread of the exact same topic...

Maybe the Accelero heatsinks are shit. I had an Accelero Twin Turbo on a 4870 years ago and the VDDC/VRM temps got WORSE than the stock heatsink. Yeah sure, the GPU core temp went from 80 degrees down to 45 degrees... but the VDDC/VRM temps went up from 70 degrees under load to over 100 degrees under load. So in the end I didn't overclock the 4870 at all because of that, at least it made the card quieter though.

My conclusion was that Accelero designed a cooler which cools the GPU chip awesomely but fails at cooling the VDDC/VRM modules. Not sure if the same applies to the "Xtreme", my experience was with the Twin Turbo.

That is why I love the thermalright HR-03. It gives you the space to actually use some good heatsinks. Those aluminum heatsinks blow. The enzotech mos-c1 sinks did a good job with the vrms on my GTX280. I would imagine that had I used thermal adhesive instead of thermal tape that they would have performed a bit better too.

Most aftermarket coolers neglect the memory and vrms.

why not ask Gabe about that? :) But I doubt he'll go out of his way to make it compatible with Accelero ;)

It won't fit. The uni-sink is too tall. You might be able to make the stock heatsink work.

Last edited:
just got my accelero on saturday
played tribes ascend for a couple hours and the vrms didnt go above 50*c

ive had furmark running for 15 minutes and they aren't going over 57*C(stock speed - 60*C oc'd)
using AIDA64 to check em

core was around 42*C while playing tribes and 47*C right now running furmark

stock cooler playing bf3 for a few hours my core would only get to 75*C @ 1100/1500 with the stock cooler, dunno about the vrms

also haven't checked the temps playing bf3 with this cooler on

i've got 2 140mm fans blowing on/around my card though too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
I don't think that is the temp of the actual vrms. I'm pretty sure that its only the temp of the Chil chip in this pic.

vreg_small.jpg

That is why I love the thermalright HR-03. It gives you the space to actually use some good heatsinks. Those aluminum heatsinks blow. The enzotech mos-c1 sinks did a good job with the vrms on my GTX280. I would imagine that had I used thermal adhesive instead of thermal tape that they would have performed a bit better too.

Most aftermarket coolers neglect the memory and vrms.

It won't fit. The uni-sink is too tall. You might be able to make the stock heatsink work.

hmmm.. I have a thermalright SI-128se sitting on the shelf. Bet I could get it on there. :p

That's some crazy low VRM temps, I'm surprised that's even possible with the stock cooler.

Back