Kindle Fire Rockets to #2 Position in the Tablet Wars

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The sales figures are in for the 4th quarter of 2011 and show that the Kindle Fire outsold all rivals except for the iPad during that period. For the year, Samsung hung onto 2nd place in sales since the Kindle Fire was only introduced in November.

“Most other Android tablet makers must earn a profit based on hardware sales alone. In contrast, Amazon plans to use the Kindle Fire to drive sales of physical goods that comprise the majority of the company’s business.

If they open it up to epub, I'll think about it. I don't like the fact your stuck with only amazon proprietary content.

If they open it up to epub, I'll think about it. I don't like the fact your stuck with only amazon proprietary content.
Can get a Playbook for 199 that does run android and will even more when OS2 comes out on the 21st of this month if they stick with their timetable. Just picked up the 32 gig ,for 248 what a nice toy, much cheaper then the apple toy.

I am quite pleased with mine, although its use of Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll aren't that great. Still, I like it as an e-book/pdf reader and if I want a tablet for media I will grab a Transformer.

for 200 bucks I cant complain. Does everything I need it to. I love being able to buy things from amazon and then they automatically show up on the fire in minutes.

My old ebok reader (Literati) died and I had only paid $40 for it at a salvage store. It had worked great for about two years and I was hoked on the convenience for flying. So I broke down and got the fire on the 17th and in just two days I am impressed. Reading, netflix and amazon video - I give it 5 stars for price, 4.5 for interface (it should come with a stylus for us ham fisted folks) and so far a 4.5 for battery life. 3 episodes of Supernatural downloaded and played back took only about 18% battery life.

"except for the iPad during that period"

Isn't that the only device that matters? What other tablet/pad device out there is even competing for 3rd at this point.

"except for the iPad during that period"

Isn't that the only device that matters? What other tablet/pad device out there is even competing for 3rd at this point.

Its because tablets are pretty shitty devices. I mean some people find odd uses, but it's nothing a smartphone/e reader/laptop can't do 100x better. So it's basically a device, with poor input that can do a load of things...badly. So the things are pretty pointless.

Now, for whatever reason the ipaid is a fadshion item right now, so it sells because of that. The other tablets lack that, so have to sell purely on the fact is an expensive device that can do lots of things poorly.

Its because tablets are pretty shitty devices. I mean some people find odd uses, but it's nothing a smartphone/e reader/laptop can't do 100x better. So it's basically a device, with poor input that can do a load of things...badly. So the things are pretty pointless.

Now, for whatever reason the ipaid is a fadshion item right now, so it sells because of that. The other tablets lack that, so have to sell purely on the fact is an expensive device that can do lots of things poorly.

They're entertainment devices and in many of those criteria laptops don't do it better because we've reached the point of maximum performance. Maybe better subtitle support or something else small, but besides that neither plays movies significantly better than the other.

What laptops don't do is travel well (taking out a laptop in a plane is a pain in the ass, comparatively) or deal with heat well, especially on soft surfaces like a bed. And I have a Galaxy Nexus, and its 4.65" screen does not compare to most tablets for entertainment purposes.

I don't pretend it's for productivity, but a couple hundred bucks on an ultra-ultra portable entertainment device isn't that bad for a lot of people.

As for the Fire, if it weren't for the Amazon Prime integration, I probably wouldn't consider it at all. The battery life is teetering on the edge of what's unacceptable and there's now much more powerful options at the $200-250 price point.

My moms reads epub books just fine, I know because that is the format I got her using on her phone and she copied them from her phone to her kindle.

Back