Google Wins Slide-to-Unlock Patent

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hmmm, a slide-to-unlock patent? That patent sounds so familiar, I just can't put my finger on it (and slide).

Unlike typical unlocking mechanisms, which bring users back to the last screen they had opened before locking the device, Google's technology immediately brings users to their desired activity. Since Apple already owns a slide-to-unlock patent, it appears that added functionality might have been Google's way of securing this patent.

I wonder if I can patent un-zippering, followed by pulling down underwear through the zipper-hole, and finally unbuttoning to take the user directly to barebones-ville before pooping. It would be a unique way of arriving directly at the pooping configuration and wouldn't infringe on the traditional method of button - zipper - underpants - bare ass.

These patents are getting ridiculous.

startpage.com Uses Google search but blocks IP tracking. Add it to IE, it is all automatic.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Seriously, another patent for a "method" to do something.

What no one with a patent for using the tip of one's finger to open programs? (although I'm sure there is)

I can understand why Google would do this, but I couldn't finish reading the article because in the end, it doesn't matter. This type of shit should not be occurring. Lets see what happens when Apple wants to add functionality to their unlock mechanism.

Steve, when you post news like this, how about just posting the news, and then instantly lock the thread ?

Hmmm, Apple owns slide to unlock patent and Google owns slide + action patent...now what happens if you slide and the action is to unlock the phone...who wins?

*patents clicking of visually noticeable button with instructions of what it does*

*clicks post reply*

I was about to say just that, ask if anybody here had used WinMo touch in the past and remembered how that stuff worked. Hope the news catches hold of what's going on behind the scenes in the few cases that Apple actually win against Android manufacturers and gives them a good wrist slap for being worse for competition than Intel ever have been.

Can't believe we can patent gestures now.. I have a gesture I'd like a patent... Then use on the patent office and all patent trolls.

Can't believe we can patent gestures now.. I have a gesture I'd like a patent... Then use on the patent office and all patent trolls.

Uh, that's how patents work. It's not for the outright idea, but the method. In Apple's case, its the slide down a specific track, while Google's if it's like how it is in 4.0 it's as long as you connect to a specific point. It's like normal locks, they may all do the same thing but manufactures have several ways to make what is essentially the same thing.

Uh ohh apple. Not only is google a technology giant but google just became a great artist at well!

"Good artists copy, great artists steal [patents]" - Steve Jobbs.

Actions should not be patentable, otherwise I could just patent dying and everyone's next of kin would have to pay me royalties. The patent system needs to get with the times.

Back