Google Wallet Fixes Prepaid Card Security Bug

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has just issued a patch for the security hole in Google Wallet. I still don't think I'll be using it any time soon. How about you?

Google has patched a hole in Google Wallet that could've allowed someone to access a user's funds simply by resetting the PIN and using a prepaid card. The company said yesterday it has issued a fix that now prevents a prepaid card from being re-provisioned to another person. It has also restored the ability to issue new prepaid cards following a move on Monday to disable the use of such cards.

Tsk Tsk. One of the biggest security holes I have ever read ,resetting a device, wow, send that programmer back to newbie school. This programmer must of doctored his resume.

Thanks Google, glad you ponied up in the first place and made a secure product, rather than just let the masses give you free QA and then media/consumers force your hand. Super job.

Google used to make good decisions, even shortly after going public and being bossed around by investors whose only goal is to make money (not be un-evil). But these days, they just up and do fuck-all it seems. (Oh, and thanks for screwing up Google Reader for no real reason.)

Fail to see what's the big deal. If you don't control your physical wallet, would you be surprised if some thief grabs your money?

And by the way, if uses use google wallet as an alternate physical layer to access their credit card account (other than swiping plastic), there would be no concern at all as you simply would not be liable for any fraudulent use. So, whatever.

Back