Tim Schaefer Interviews

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tim Schaefer has done a handful of interviews since his massively successful debut on Kickstarter the other day. Check out the quote about patching games:

Tim discusses the over $1.7 million this has raised so far, why they used kickstarter, what the money is for, how hard it can be on indies when it costs $40,000 to patch a game, how notch fit into all this, and more. There's also an interview with Tim on IndustryGamers where he talks a little about the game they will make with all that scratch.

I sincerely hope Tim knocks one out of the park with this project. If he does this idea that we need big studios or production companies can finally be thrown out the window and gaming can get back to making fun rather than just making cash.

I supported S.P.A.Z. from the start and I'll support any effort that threatens the current establishment of video game production.

I don't get how this works: you pay someone to make a game and then you pay again to buy it?

I don't get how this works: you pay someone to make a game and then you pay again to buy it?

You're right, you don't get it ;)

Every tier on the donation tree gets you the game and other goodies. The level of goodies depend on the amount donated.

If you kicked in $100, you get the game, beta access, limited edition stuff and a "Special Thanks to.." in the credits.

Considering you pay $60 for a regular game, that's not too bad.

Thanks for posting this!

Tim Schafer is a fascinating guy, and I love his approach to just about everything, very open, honest, and community-oriented. And the stuff he says is hilarious.

Hopefully more indie dev would focus on PC platform. Having to pay 40,000 each time they want to patch a game on the x360 is just ridiculous for these smaller guys. Its going to discourage the devs from releasing too many patch.

You would hope if it cost 40k to patch they might release code thats a little more fleshed out.

So, he's still an indie dev after his last game was published by EA?

How is this guy hurting for money? Oh, that's right, Brutal Legend wasn't any good -_-

So, he's still an indie dev after his last game was published by EA?

How is this guy hurting for money? Oh, that's right, Brutal Legend wasn't any good -_-

Their last game was NOT published by EA. Their last game was Happy Action Theater published to XBLA by Microsoft.

Brutal Legend wasn't that bad until the RTS portion came in. The writing was good, the humor worked, and Jack Black worked as Riggs. I really think it would've done better on the PC where the controls could work. Either way the game sold like shit and despite their downloadable titles doing well enough to keep them going, they were facing the real possibility of layoffs after an unnamed project was canceled, but instead they decided to take the chance at this and see what came of it.

Anything that potentially kicks EA in the pants is worth it in my books. :cool:

It won't. As Schafer said in one of his interviews this worked because of who they are and that they had a good story to tell. 1.7 million is a LONG LONG way away from 20 million +

It won't. As Schafer said in one of his interviews this worked because of who they are and that they had a good story to tell. 1.7 million is a LONG LONG way away from 20 million +

I think every little bit counts, if even a few people buy this game over a potential EA title, than it's still a win.

The problem with going this model is first time exposure. I personally believe this works for people like who created a great game and found a niche market, but what about the other developers (no such thing as indie) who never created something great or their first project. How are you going to tell people, hey trust me with your money and I promise to create something good. Hate on the big publishers all you like, but even a little approval from them gets your name out there.

Back