120Hz TN Panel For 2D Gaming

UncleMeat

Weaksauce
Hi, Big hello to everyone :D

I've been clinging to my Crappy 19" CRT for far too long now and i know i have to make the move some time. I think i've been too scared of the ghost, no pun intended

tbh, I'm not too fussed about the whole 3D thing atm, may get into that later, but i really just want a 23/24" panel with low input lag and pixel response. Something smooth for playing fast FPS Games.

Would i be able to run a 23/24" Panel with a Nvidia GTX285 single setup?

Also, i don't mind going glossy :cool: as i can control my environment, apparently the colour is richer or something?

Budget is around £350-400 (available to UK)

Last but not least, and usually a deal breaker with me, the manufacturer with the most respected warranty commitment ;)

Any help would be really appreciated :confused:

Last edited:
Samsung 23-27" SA750/SA950 are good 120hz monitors, check em out.

Be very wary of 27" TN panels. The color shift is unbearable at that size.
tbh i think 24" is about as big as i could feel comfy with playing fast fps games on.
Are u sitting too close, or can they be really that bad at that size?

Last edited:
Since 120Hz screens have a maximum resolution of 1080p, you really, really shouldn't buy anything larger than 24". The pixels will be really large and everything looks bloated.

The Samsung S23A750D or the Asus VG236HE are the best choices I think.

I personally just received my asus a few hours ago and the moment I found out how to get it working on 120Hz i was amazed. It is SO MUCH smoother than 60Hz. It's insane.

All the 120Hz are TN panels though, but the samsung and asus screens are pretty equal and both have really good colors in terms of TN panels.

There are only two real downsides, which are the pretty small viewing angles and the small backlight bleeding which still persists a little bit at 20-25% brightness (which is really the most desirable setting if you spend a lot of time at the computer)

Ohhh bummer sorry man...

There is a Benq which I understand is a great monitor. I am on the train and will post the model when I get home
Cheers Ears :D ...havent really looked at BenQ yet

I have been secretly looking at the 23" ASUS VG236H. I see Kazaakas is well happy, but no one has mentioned this panel?

Last edited:
I just noticed on the Asus site that there is no mention of Win XP x64 under the OS requirements section ...is that going to be a brick wall ?

Well I don't know about any drivers for the screen specifically and different types of screens are all handled quite the same for windows if I'm not mistaken, except for 3d ofcourse.

Anyway, I'm using XP x64 with the asus monitor now and its working fine at epic smoothyness with 120Hz :)

Well I don't know about any drivers for the screen specifically and different types of screens are all handled quite the same for windows if I'm not mistaken, except for 3d ofcourse.

Anyway, I'm using XP x64 with the asus monitor now and its working fine at epic smoothyness with 120Hz :)
Ooof ...thats good news man ;)
u run v-sync on ?

Last edited:
UncleMeat unless you get some 560/6850's in SLI or better cards there isn't much point in buying a 120hz monitor unless you are only playing old games.

The Sasmung models only support 3D properly with AMD cards, also you should not write off 3D, it can be amazing with some titles and movies.

If you are planning on upgrading to better Nvidia cards get the new BenQ XL2420T or Asus VG236H (these are the best other than the Planar but it is only available in North America), if you plan on going AMD get the Samsung S23A700/750D. The 950D is over priced for no reason and the 7 series seem to be better based on reviews.

Avoid the Acer HN274
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/acer-hn274h-p10836/test.html

The Acer GN245HQ (matte) is good
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/acer-gn245hq-p10694/test.html

UncleMeat unless you get some 560/6850's in SLI or better cards there isn't much point in buying a 120hz monitor unless you are only playing old games.
I mainly play UT2004 & Quake III Arena :eek: and was thinking about a 2nd 285, what do u think ?

Cheers Ears :D ...havent really looked at BenQ yet

I have been secretly looking at the 23" ASUS VG236H. I see Kazaakas is well happy, but no one has mentioned this panel?

The model is the BenQ XL2420T

Check that one out too!

Couple notes on the Planar. I do not own one, but if you read the newegg reviews and use the search feature to find the hardforum thread, their customer service is quite good for a "consumer" grade monitor. Three year warranty rather than the usual shady 1 year that most companies will replace with a refurbished. That being said, I called their after hour (~11pm EST) tech support and got some random dude in Portland on his cell. He was helpful but not knowledgeable; my question was whether 120hz worked in any resolution other than native 1080p. He didn't know, and said at first it would take him a day to find out through their engineering team. After a couple minutes of BS'ing, he said he would call up an engineer friend of his that worked with him to find out. He called me back on my cell 2 minutes later with an answer. >_<

Unfortunately, it turns out that it's only supported in the native resolution. Factor that in if you play old games at anything other than max res (it makes a huge difference) especially coming from a 19" crt. You will very likely be disappointed being stuck in one size. However, I'm also kind of perplexed by those of you who use eyefinity. Is this contrary to what the clueless tech said?

The egg had this monitor on a bargain bin sale a couple weeks ago ($260 shipped). Would be kinda pissed if it wasn't the case because I would've gotten that rather than my pending purchase of either a hulking 75lb diamondtron ($10) or xl2420t ($400).

NCX is a monitor stud and posts religiously on all 120hz threads. Full prostration to ensue.

Last edited:
Do those sammys let u use Dual Link DVI to run at 120Hz? or is it only done via Display Port?

Yes the 950d lets you run 120hz with both dual link DVI and display port. The 750d runs 120hz using the display port and doesn't have DVI. I have the 950d and been extremely happy with it.

Then buy it from BenQ with free shipping cheaper than where it's offered anywhere else anyway....

http://shop.benq.us/ProductDetail.aspx?id=347

I was gonna do that, but it's easier on amazon to return if there's something wrong with the unit. With benq, you have to pay for shipping to return the unit. I might get it from them anyways since I really need a new monitor.. :( I'm just hoping amazon would carry this monitor for convenience.

Unfortunately, it turns out that it's only supported in the native resolution. Factor that in if you play old games at anything other than max res (it makes a huge difference) especially coming from a 19" crt.
No 120Hz for anything but native, would that just be Planar?
:confused:

Last edited:
Since 120Hz screens have a maximum resolution of 1080p, you really, really shouldn't buy anything larger than 24". The pixels will be really large and everything looks bloated.

The Samsung S23A750D or the Asus VG236HE are the best choices I think.

I personally just received my asus a few hours ago and the moment I found out how to get it working on 120Hz i was amazed. It is SO MUCH smoother than 60Hz. It's insane.

All the 120Hz are TN panels though, but the samsung and asus screens are pretty equal and both have really good colors in terms of TN panels.

There are only two real downsides, which are the pretty small viewing angles and the small backlight bleeding which still persists a little bit at 20-25% brightness (which is really the most desirable setting if you spend a lot of time at the computer)

Isn't the Asus VG236HE pretty old? (2010) So if you would use 3d, it would also be nvidia 3d vision, not the updated 3d vision 2? (I know the op is talking 2d, but it's pretty old and I'm just curious about the 3d generation 1 vs 2.)

No 120Hz for anything but native, would that just be Planar?
:confused:

benq uses scaling as well as aspect ratio and can support pretty much any resolution you want, as well as "replicating" the environment on whatever size monitor with 120hz. IE: you can have it mimic 800x600 on a 17" or 19" monitor. Some others support 120hz on all other resolutions but do not accommodate this kind of sophisticated scaling. I think the new samsungs, the asus and the latest acer all support 120hz on other resolutions. Someone back me up on this?

I used to use an Alienware AW2310 for 2d gaming. It was pretty good. You can definitely see the difference when playing games. I'm not sure a GTX 285 would be a good pairing with one however...unless you're playing counter-strike.

I used to use an Alienware AW2310 for 2d gaming. It was pretty good. You can definitely see the difference when playing games. I'm not sure a GTX 285 would be a good pairing with one however...unless you're playing counter-strike.

There's 2 other paragraphs of your last post in the body of my notification email
something about going from 4:3 > 16:9 / 10 & also frame dipping eye strain....but none of it is showing when i load this page :confused:

Last edited:
Yea I edited my post. I did experience eye strain with the 120hz. But I don't know the cause 100% and I didn't want to get into an argument with people =p. Since I only have gtx 460s in SLI, it's more jarring to constantly have the FPS drop from 120 than having it hover at 60 and then drop.

I also cut out in my edit where I pointed out there's no 16:10 120hz monitors out there. You'll be stuck with 16:9.

Back