Google Gets EU Approval To Buy Motorola

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like that $12.5 B Google-Motorola deal just got approval from the EU as well as the U.S. Department of Justice.

We’re happy that today the European Commission approved our proposed acquisition of Motorola Mobility, which we announced in August. This is an important milestone in the approval process and it moves us closer to closing the deal. We are now just waiting for decisions from a few other jurisdictions before we can close this transaction.

Last edited:
Wow... Can't say I've ever been particularly fond of Motorola handsets, but hopefully some sexy stuff comes of this!

Wow. First Youtube. Now Motorola. Google sure knows how to snag up these excellent companies.

Is this still going on? I thought this was done already.

Nah, EU has to approve the purchase, just like the FTC have to okay big business deals in the US...and spend months looking into the deal as well, like the AT&T and T-Mobile Merger, that got shot down thanks to some leaked info (would have gone through if it wasn't for that I reckon).

Too bad Motorola also means absolutely bad support for every non-US country. Updates delayed by 1 year ? Check! Signed & bootloaders, which means no custom kernels ? Check!

Let's hope Google will improve this situation, but somehow i doubt it.

PS: I talk about SIM-free phones, so it is not the operator locking down the phone, it's Moto.

1. Buying Motorola means buying any penalties that Motorola might incur.
2. Buying Motorola means Apple can attack Google directly on the patent front, since Google will become a manufacturer of Android phones
happy.gif

I believe that is the idea. That's what their frantic buying of patents from IBM was all about. Now Google can just say hey apple leave the phone manufacturers alone or we're going to assrape you in court.

Motorola has always made the best phones IMO. They were on of the first big dogs in cell phones. Hope google makes them even better.

Motorola has always made the best phones IMO. They were on of the first big dogs in cell phones. Hope google makes them even better.
As far as hardware and build quality, Motorola makes some very nice phones. My 1.5 year old Droid X doesn't really look any worse for wear and this is with carrying it around without a case or screencover and several accidental drops and falls. It is just a shame what they try to do with the bootloader/software. Hopefully Google forces fixes in these areas. Motorola Nexus anyone?

i hope to god Google doesn't make Android just for Motorola phones now as the whole thing about Android is how open it is vs the iphone

I woulda hoped for Google gettin in bed with HTC, but I guess motorola can do.. I havent seen much good come from them as of late, but the deal has some serious kick-ass potential..

Step one) GET THE FUCK RID OF MOTOBLUR

I guess we'll just see how this goes.

i hope to god Google doesn't make Android just for Motorola phones now as the whole thing about Android is how open it is vs the iphone

They won't stop providing Android for others. Main business for Google on Android are ads. More phones, more ads. More ads, more money.

Back