Funky Deal: 16GB Samsung SSD for $18.99

DTN107

Supreme [H]ardness
Link

Not really a hot deal but someone here might be in a market for it.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there any "mini-Windows 7" out there?

I remember playing around with mini-XP from hiren's bootCD.

yes there is a tiny windows 7 by experience. really dumbed down graphics though.

If you look at Windows 7 optimization guides you can turn off system restore, turn off the page file, delete a bunch of the 500+ font styles, and do a few other things, and the size of your install should get cut in half (I'm just estimating, I'm not certain how much smaller it will make it). If you're lucky you'll have 10GB of space to play with after doing all those tweaks.

You can also use good 'ol XP, it takes up around 1GB IIRC.

deleted so no one is confused

Last edited:
Win7 is only around 6gb if you disable system restore + hibernation, and make the page file smaller. So, this would work for a really small box :).

That hasn't been my experience...even with those off my Windows directory is still like 15-20 GB and I've only been on this current install for a month or two. Are you talking Win7 Pro? What else is taking up that space?

EDIT: I guess I had system restore off but hibernate "capability" was still on. Disabled it in command prompt and got back like 9 GB. Windows dir itself did not change, though, and is still 20 GB.

That hasn't been my experience...even with those off my Windows directory is still like 15-20 GB and I've only been on this current install for a month or two. Are you talking Win7 Pro? What else is taking up that space?

EDIT: I guess I had system restore off but hibernate "capability" was still on. Disabled it in command prompt and got back like 9 GB. Windows dir itself did not change, though, and is still 20 GB.

It also depends on the size of your page file as to how much free space you'd have in all. However, Win7 itself actually is around 9gb per google, I was wrong :).

Page file is disabled. I did some digging and 10 GB of usage is in a folder called "winsxs", which is apparently service pack and update install/uninstall crap. There's supposed to be a cleanup tool built into Win7 that I will try and report back.

EDIT: Got it from 10 GB down to 6.7 GB. Not bad, especially when you're using an SSD with limited space. Here's the information if anyone else wants to try it:

http://www.iishacks.com/2011/06/23/reduce-windows-7-winsxs-folder-size/

I realize this is somewhat off-topic but for anyone buying this it could be very useful. :cool:

for the Z68 SSD caching, you need at least 18.7GB of space

other software/hardware solutions, dunno?

Thanks for that info as well, I was about to buy it for that purpose.

Edit: Where did you find that information out? The link below says that "The SSD and hard drive can be any capacity, but it’s worth bearing in mind that SRT can only use up to 64 GB of space on the SSD, so it isn’t worth buying a larger one."

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Intel-Smart-Response-Technology-Explained/1292/1

Last edited:
You can probably put windows 7 starter edition on it which is whats commonly found in netbooks

Thanks for that info as well, I was about to buy it for that purpose.

Edit: Where did you find that information out? The link below says that "The SSD and hard drive can be any capacity, but it’s worth bearing in mind that SRT can only use up to 64 GB of space on the SSD, so it isn’t worth buying a larger one."

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Intel-Smart-Response-Technology-Explained/1292/1

He's right... I found it in an article on VR-Zone about SSD Caching for Z68. 20GB rated size is the minimum (~18.6gb available).

http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-ssd-caching-feature-for-z68-chipset-explored/11953.html

These could be really nice for someone with a Z68 board looking to try out Intel's Smart Response Technology without spending a lot of money.

These could be really nice for someone with a Z68 board looking to try out Intel's Smart Response Technology without spending a lot of money.

It was already pointed out a few posts above that you must have at least a 20GB SSD for SRT. So, no dice. It's a shame, as I'd consider purchasing one for that.

It was already pointed out a few posts above that you must have at least a 20GB SSD for SRT. So, no dice. It's a shame, as I'd consider purchasing one for that.

Ahh didn't see that... well that blows. Hrmph!!!

Interesting... I thought there's only an upper limit but didn't know there's a lower limit.

Thanks for the heads up otherwise I would of pulled the trigger for this as well.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In for one! I could use this for my new firewall box or a linux machine. Thanks!

Just put your page file for Windows 7 on it. And yes, even if you have it disabled if Windows 7 thinks it needs a page file, you still have a page file.

This would actually be a great purchase if you plan on getting a Rasberry Pi.. Perfect for a little Linux distro

Page file is disabled. I did some digging and 10 GB of usage is in a folder called "winsxs", which is apparently service pack and update install/uninstall crap. There's supposed to be a cleanup tool built into Win7 that I will try and report back.

EDIT: Got it from 10 GB down to 6.7 GB. Not bad, especially when you're using an SSD with limited space. Here's the information if anyone else wants to try it:

http://www.iishacks.com/2011/06/23/reduce-windows-7-winsxs-folder-size/

I realize this is somewhat off-topic but for anyone buying this it could be very useful. :cool:
I'm not sure if that command they recommend is any different than running the SP1 cleanup tool that is under Disk Cleanup. I have an integrated SP1 installation at home so I'm going to test my theory, which is that the command will not work for me since there are no SP1 files to clean up.

*edit* Just look it up and SP cleanup tool under Disk cleanup is exactly what it is. I just wonder if the command will clean up installed Windows Updates ...

I almost wonder if your trolling. Windows 7 Embedded is completely different than Windows 7 desktop edition.

Back