Kodak to Stop Making Digital Cameras

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For the first time in its 130 year history, Eastman Kodak will no longer manufacture its trademark cameras. The discontinuation of the Kodak digital camera will happen sometime in the first half of 2012. The production of film cameras and process film ended in 2004 and 2009, respectively. Kodak will now turn its production to commercial and consumer printers.

Sad day for kodak, but they should of kept up with the changing technology.

They will be missed, though not so much anymore since their digital cameras are mediocre at best.

They will be missed, though not so much anymore since their digital cameras are mediocre at best.

+1 I had one a few years ago

it did the job, but there was really nothing special about it .. it was pretty low on the totem pole for its price range.

I am sure they will still me make XRay film and chemicals.

Kodak's digital cameras were never great and their printers aren't very good either. I expect we'll hear that they've gone out of business soon. This is a classic example of a company that was once a industry leader who fell behind the times and failed to innovate as well as the competition.

With all due respect, Kodak did try.
They made fair printers, inkjet paper, low end digital cameras (they made low end film cameras in the past) and imaging software. Kodak was king for bringing film cameras to the masses, but that was a long time ago. They could never be the same company, just a name brand on strange products.

Ah they will still be involve with printing labs.

Some of the Walgreens photo labs I work at uses Kodak chemicals and paper.

The one I am at right now is using Noritsu machines with Fuji chemicals and paper.

I know CVS photo labs uses a lot of Kodak chemicals and paper.

Not sure about the whole "process film"...

But a lot of 35mm negative film rolls are still made by Kodak or at least under the name Kodak.

And yes people still use 35mm negative especially a lot of professional photographers.

There is a lot of reason behind that I won't really get into.

But here is an example from yesterday.

Scanning a digital printed 4x6 to enlarge to 8x10 comes out slightly blurry and not so clean.

Scanning a photo from a 35mm negative photo that was printed on a 4x6 and enlarging it to 8x10 comes out very clean and sharp still. A huge night and day difference from a digital enlargement.

A moment of silence for EasyShare, gentlemen. We hardly knew it, but mostly because we didn't want to know it.

With all due respect, Kodak did try.
They made fair printers, inkjet paper, low end digital cameras (they made low end film cameras in the past) and imaging software. Kodak was king for bringing film cameras to the masses, but that was a long time ago. They could never be the same company, just a name brand on strange products.

They make good printers I know I have one the best parts is there inkjet cartridges are cheapest in Combo Pack vs all other

I bought one Kodak digital camera approx 10 years ago. I hated the software. It was a nightmare doing anything with the pictures outside of the Kodak software. I never bought one again.

Good luck to them.

They make good printers I know I have one the best parts is there inkjet cartridges are cheapest in Combo Pack vs all other

Sorry, their printers really are shit.
Especially the newer ones with the replaceable print heads that claim they use the cheapest inks.

You want to save money on ink? Get a good printer, then get a continuous ink system for it.

Sorry, their printers really are shit.
Especially the newer ones with the replaceable print heads that claim they use the cheapest inks.

You want to save money on ink? Get a good printer, then get a continuous ink system for it.
I do have good printer it a Kodak EPS 5200 All in One
As for continuous ink system more like continuous waste of money unless you are one thoses people who like continuous printing everthing everday in stead of printing to file or take a screehshot.
I have had Lexmark and Canon even with HP they end up costing way to much in long run comman problem I had with was ink print heads dry up before 30day was up in fact at one point it was cheaper to just buy new printer then then buy replaceable ink.
My fav was the old school Star Micronics NX1000 Rainbow Color Dot Matrix Printer

That is sad news....
Their Digital Cameras where not the best, but the worked. Their printers, print nice when they work, the driver stack is still a little crappy. But for me it does not matter as they still think that USB driver stack under Linux is inferior to use with their printers. I know last years my sister was converted to Linux, right after she bought a Kodak Printer. I spent almost a week trying to get it to work with Linux, I called and talked to a tech at Kodak. I was informed by one of the higher techs that Linux was not a mature operating system and they would not support it :rolleyes:. We got into a little argument over the whole thing. Anyway from that point on, I have kinda boycotted Kodak printers.
So if the company fails, oh well. They had their day.
We will miss their cameras. :(

This means they will be dead as a company really really soon. So many Kodak printers are dead out of the box upon setting them up for customers. At least 50% of their current printers have Scanner defects and leave weird blurry lines and other artifacts on the paper. And yet they are dumping their Camera line that has been fairly successful for their Printer line that has not had all that much success. Did HP's old CEO just take over for Kodak?

not good news, I own one of their midrange (ESP 9250) all-in-ones and it's a piece of shit

I wonder when film cameras will come back. Being able to take almost unlimited pictures with a digital camera is nice, but there is something to be said for having an old school family album rather than just all your photos digitally.

Kodak suffered from a typical "too big to fail" mentality like many large old companies.
I worked for Magnavox 20 years ago (founded 1917) and their attitude was much the same even though the quality of their products was so bad toward the end you could hardly give them away. We have many ex-Kodak employees at the company I work for and all tell the same story. They stuck to a obsolete business model. It is just not about cheap manufacturing as most people think. It failure to innovate and a management structure that squishes such innovation in favor of lock step tail-wagging yes men mentality.

Kodak has so many patents, they could stop making ANY products tomorrow and STILL be profitable for the next 30 years.

Kodak has so many patents, they could stop making ANY products tomorrow and STILL be profitable for the next 30 years.

They tried to sell their patents before bankruptcy and there were no takers.
Likely they hold patents on obsolete technology and techniques.

They tried to sell their patents before bankruptcy and there were no takers.
Likely they hold patents on obsolete technology and techniques.

No one wanted to pay the price they were asking. The lawyers will go one making a profit for Kodak for a very long time.

not good news, I own one of their midrange (ESP 9250) all-in-ones and it's a piece of shit

You must not own one becuase the ESP 9250 was not a midrange customer printer that was there highend model at the time mine is the ESP 5250 it is the midrange customer printer and there $100 diff in cost when I get mine

It more likely to me that Kodak got bad 3rdparty manufacturer to build them in frist place where there did really piss poor job at quality control.

I agree with you Dr. Righteous there patents are most nothing but obsolete technology and techniques when try tried to sell their patents before bankruptcy.

where the hell are the $5 kodak digital cameras ?

this would be good for leaving in the car in case of an accident

You must not own one becuase the ESP 9250 was not a midrange customer printer QUOTE]

You're right, how stupid of me to think I own the printer sitting about 4 feet from face, and to think that I could read the model number, doh!

and it is definitely a midrange printer, check out their products they have much higher end equipment than the 9250

thanks though

You must not own one becuase the ESP 9250 was not a midrange customer printer QUOTE]

You're right, how stupid of me to think I own the printer sitting about 4 feet from face, and to think that I could read the model number, doh!

and it is definitely a midrange printer, check out their products they have much higher end equipment than the 9250

thanks though
You forget one thing when it was made availability was in August 2010 it was there highend model at that time I know was looking them but I ended up getting the ESP 5250 "$130" at walmart I was going to get ESP 9250 "$250" but didn't have that kind of funds and need one rigth then at that time had do lot faxing, scan and printing I should know that when my mother just passaway on September 2010 I only had the printer for about 3 weeks.
Now ESP 9250 look like it being called the ESP Office 6150 and now thet top of line is HERO 9.1 All-in-One Printer

I wonder when film cameras will come back. Being able to take almost unlimited pictures with a digital camera is nice, but there is something to be said for having an old school family album rather than just all your photos digitally.

So stop using point and shoot, and get a nice, newer DSLR.

The newer ones take really good pictures, even in super low light conditions, thanks to the sensors progressing to a point that picture quality is far superior to 35mm film.

You also get shake reduction, white balance adjustment, and on and on.

And now Pentax is coming out with a mirror-less camera that is on the level of their awesome K-5 that will also be able to use any K-mount or adapted to K-mount lens ever made.

Back