Anonymous Knocks CIA Website Offline

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It looks like Anonymous is branching out a bit from attacking sites like the FBI. In its latest campaign, Anonymous claims to have taken down the CIA website, the mother lode of government agencies.

The CIA website had become unresponsive likely due to a distribute denial of service (DDoS) type of attack that the hacker group commonly launches against its targets

I'm just waiting for the "War on Cyberterrorism" to begin. Patriot Act, NDAA, ACTA...blowback's got to come sooner or later. Just needs an excuse.

Military should make their own internet, then we wouldn't have this problem.

Heh. Yea right.

Remember that for a long while our Predator Drones were controlled with unencrypted RF...

This... this to the infinite power. They do have their own network, but it's more of an intranet than anything, and it's hardly usable compared to the regular internet.

I lol'd, because the military is where the internet came from...

cia.png

Err, the internet was based off the old Arpanet, which was strictly for academics and the military when it was 1st setup. To this day they still have their own network, based off Milnet and its many successors.

DDos'ing the CIA is playing with fire i would think. Wouldn't like to be in their shoes if they get caught.

It was a public website outside their intranet and I bet the admins were private contractors.

Wow, what a huge feat that was. Making a website unresponsive. Sounds to me like a waste of energy and all it does is poke at them with a stick until it ruins it for everyone when ridiculous internet laws start getting signed in response.

Wow, what a huge feat that was. Making a website unresponsive. Sounds to me like a waste of energy and all it does is poke at them with a stick until it ruins it for everyone when ridiculous internet laws start getting signed in response.

Yeah it doesn't inhibit the actions of the CIA at all. It just frustrates some low level IT workers only marginally affiliated with the CIA. Much like the poster analogy, the only person pissed off is the grunt who has to go staple another one up, not the guy wiretapping your grandma without a warrant.

I still partially think some of Anonymous is orchestrated by one of these very same agencies so they can say "See, see, this is why we need blank, blank, and blank". The sheeple will nod in agreement.

False flag cyber attacks? Covered up because down for the cause scapegoat
wannabe hacker idiots thinking it's truly all for the lolz?
"Problem-Reaction-Solution" tactics?

I still partially think some of Anonymous is orchestrated by one of these very same agencies so they can say "See, see, this is why we need blank, blank, and blank". The sheeple will nod in agreement.

My favorite motto is "if you can image it, then it could happen".

Anonymous is more than likely infiltrated by CIA operatives and much like the KKK had a few FBI agents.

Now where did I put my tinfoil beret?

There's a real danger of hacker groups being infiltrated by malevolent interests and THEIR networks being leveraged to DDOS government systems.

I'm not sure I would call their website a "government system" exactly, but they would have other services exposed to the internet that could (even with protection) be susceptible to this kind of interruption.

I wouldn't be surprised. *cough* The CIA are infamous for such devious acts.

lol ddos attacks, wasnt this suppose to happens last jan the day when SOPA was etc etc. ddos attacks are like "hey lets ping the CIA website, OMFG im a hacker"

They didn't walk into the house. They just stepped on the lawn. Just script kiddies that have no idea what the CIA is capable of.

Incoming men in black suits driving black SUVs to the houses of Anonymous members.

The CIA hasn't taken them down yet because they never cared before. Now they have the attention (well, a little bit) of the CIA, so the CIA will be coming down on them. Maybe not as hard as they could, but they won't need to. This will be the equivalent of flicking away a fly to the CIA. They already know where these guys are. They already know how to get to them. they just haven't done so before because it wasn't important. It still isn't very important, but they are an annoyance now.

whoopity fuckin doo. So they DDoS websites. Nothing anyone of us couldnt do with minor effort if we were immature hapless parent basement dwellers.

your derisive comments are almost as funny as the fact that anon would ddos the cia in the first place

Exactly, just like Fast and Furious. The best way they see to make a politically motivated move that no one else wants is to infiltrate a group of undesirables to inflate the 'cause'.

When I read the headline over at Gizmodo, "Anonymous kills CIA website" I was waiting for this article in response, "CIA kills Anonymous" :D

Please never, ever quote the RT here again. While I agree with the story in general, they tend to give opposing views to anything the US gov't is doing, no matter who is in charge, unless we are making good with Putin.

RT is a propaganda machine right up there with Fox News, they are directly subordinate to The Russian Federation. I am all for opposing points of view, but Russia is getting back to its old tricks again and that means anything they say needs to be taken with a grain of salt. These are the kind of people anon would normally go after.

Back