NY Attorney General Agrees to Terminate Antitrust Lawsuit Against Intel

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation and the New York Attorney General have agreed to terminate the lawsuit alleging violation of U.S. and state antitrust laws that was filed by the New York Attorney General in November 2009. The agreement, which follows a December 2011 court ruling that greatly reduced the scope of the New York Attorney General’s lawsuit, expressly states that Intel does not admit either any violation of law or that the allegations in the complaint are true, and it calls for no changes to the way Intel does business. The agreement includes a payment of $6.5 million from Intel that is intended only to cover some of the costs incurred by the New York Attorney General in the litigation.

I know that antitrust stuff has to happen, but I hate when the government screws over hard working companies. Do you know how many jobs you could create with $6.5M?

Intel is dirty for sure, but if the setlement didn't call for changes in business function why are they being forced to shell out so much cash?

Arg, I hate when government gets in the way of business!

$6.5 Million only covers "some" of the costs? 2 years and they racked up $6.5 Million dollars? If I was niave private citizen I would think this sounds like a legal way to throw your buddies a financial bone. Just hire your friends to do the legal stuff and then give them exuberant amounts of money without using tax dollars. Friends make out like bandits and the AG looks like a public defender super hero. But luckily I don't question the motives of public officials, so I don't entertain such rediculous notions.

It would seem that Intel has a case of racketeering against the NY, "we will drop the charges that we have no proof to actually convict you against but you must pay our court costs".

It would seem that Intel has a case of racketeering against the NY, "we will drop the charges that we have no proof to actually convict you against but you must pay our court costs".

Either that,or else Intel was really guilty and this was a way of buying their way out of it without admitting it,and the Attorney General a way to get out of a lawsuit that was getting too expensive to pursue. I doubt Intel would be paying up if they didn't have something to hide.

It was probably just a shakedown to fund the ainti-gun compaign in NYC.

Back