AMD Announces Departure of Senior Vice President, Chief Sales Officer

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced the departure of Emilio Ghilardi as senior vice president and chief sales officer, effective immediately. Rory Read, AMD president and chief executive officer, will serve as interim chief sales officer while the company actively seeks a replacement.

He should have released the AMD HD7950 for $399 at launch. I hope they get their stuff in order ASAP. I feel sorry for the guy losing his job.

I assume this isn't over bad GPU sales but more over terrible CPU sales. Particularly, bulldozer being a bit of a flop and Intel still continuing to dominate the CPU enthuast market? ... Not that I think the chief sales officer could really convince people to buy Bulldozer if the R&D guys made a crappy product short of Jedi mind control powers.

He should have released the AMD HD7950 for $399 at launch. I hope they get their stuff in order ASAP. I feel sorry for the guy losing his job.

You think so? It seems like its pretty appropriately priced/priced evenly against nVidia's equivilent offering. Why do you think the price should have been lowered at launch to $399? Due to it not offering PhysX like nVidia's equivilently priced/performing card does or to try to force nVidia to drop prices and cut their profit margin to stagnate nVidia's R&D funds?

Frankly, this isn't a good thing.
AMD loses it's CEO, the guy who invented the Athlon, and AMD replaces him with Rory Reed, someone who's never been a CEO and who knows so little about CPUs and GPUs he has to have his aides explain to him the pros and cons of any AMD product.

After Rory gets hired on a steady stream of upper execs have started leaving AMD. These are guys familiar with the industry who were good at what they did. Rory is repacing them with his pals from Lenovo and the server side of IBM.
I've always been an AMD fan but between Bulldozer and Rory Reed, the only bright thing at AMD is there 28nm GPUs :(

Enjoy your AMD products guys, they are some of the last you will see moving forward these next couple of two or three years.

Their 7950 pricing mistake is clearly done out of desperation. Of course AMD destroying itself with it's chain of command abandoning ship is validation enough.

I've also heard rumors that Intel may actually end up inside the new Xbox with a variant of the ivybridge with a slightly souped up integrated 4000 gpu that would be 30% - 35% faster at launch. I know many people are assuming AMD fusion will be that part. Not if Intel has the last word.

Clearly there are serious serious issues.

I've said my goodbyes to AMD long ago. Sad really

lol@AMD. How many senior execs have jumped ship in the last couple years. You do not see that happening over and over at NVIDIA ;) HardOCP might team up with another company for events

Back