Hackers Wanted $50k From Symantec

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is proof positive that hackers just aren't very smart. Seriously, do extortion / ransom schemes ever work? Even in the movies it's like the worst thing you can do.

Hackers sought $50,000 from U.S. anti-virus firm Symantec Corp in return for the stolen blueprints to its flagship products under what the company says was a sting operation run by an undisclosed law enforcement agency via emails. The company said the emails were in fact between the hacker and law enforcement officials posing as a Symantec employee.

I have been keeping up on these articles, I guess myself I would be concerned about what Symantec is not sharing. One minute they are saying PCAnywhere is the only compromised component, the next they are saying endpoint security 11.0 is compromised and then the next saying "well due to insufficient auditing we are unable to say what really is compromised at this moment.

http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=anonymous-code-claims

Even in the movies

man.. every hacker movie that comes out my boss seems to watch.. then i have to explain to him that for the most part.. its hollywood.. which always makes me chuckle that i have to remind him of that since we work in hollywood renting equipment to the studios

:confused:

I'd probably be a bit leery of posting links like the one above around here.

Ahh, just read that Symantec made the false offering of 50K to try and snare the hacker(s).

My mistake.

The other article I read on this stated that the 50k was offer by Symantec, as part of a sting. Symantec ultimately refused to pay because they couldn't agree to the terms set up by the hackers, negotiations broke down, then shortly after, the source was posted on a torrent. The other article actually has some of the statements made by each side as they 'negotiated', too. It really sounds like it was a scam by both sides. A scam by Symantec to get the criminals caught, and a scam by the hacker group to get Symantec to admit fault publicly.

And the hacker in question will be played in news editorials by... dun dun dun... the shadowy hand on the keyboard.

Seriously, who the hell is running the IT and PR departments at Symantec.

My good friend works at Symantec, I wonder what he thinks about this.

Back