Next [H]ard box contest setup.....

Kendrak

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2009
Well 2x i7 920 chips just showed up in the mail.

What I'd like to do is put together a CPU,MOBO,RAM combo for them.

So I'm asking if you have a s1366 mobo or some RAM that would work, want to donate it to the cause or sell it cheap please post or send me a PM.

If I can't get ahold of the items above we can figure something out.

The chips were donated by Grandpa_01 to musky, tear and the members of the [H] for there willingness to help and dedication to folding and the folding community.

Fold on!

Well, we already have a PSU from Firedfly!
And RAM from mmmmmdonuts!

Make sure to give them your thanks!

Now we still need a mobo for the first give away. a few people with a few bucks that I can match and we can get this thing put together!
(or someone with an extra sitting around)

Well that didn't take too long.....

$50 from avalanch34
$35 from sway
$10 from brycejones
A mobo for the price of shipping from sbinh
And a mobo from lordofdoors for $50

Only catch now is the mobo from sbinh is set up for WC..... so does anyone have a HS for a Gigabyte UD5 ;)
Or we can WC this beast and give it away!

What are you thinking [H]?

And give all these people your thanks, they are what make this team great!

Last edited:
Let me see what funds I have available, maybe we can make this the first WC [H] rig.

Wow- skip a day and everything happens! Kendrak, I'm in for $20 for the first ever [H]W/CDC rig!

Ok.... if we are going to do WC.... I am going to need some help.... I haven't done one before (outside of a H50)

So I know some basics, but the details is what I will mess up.

Someone drop a basic parts list? And if you have parts to donate or sell on the cheap post and let us know.

Your going to need a radiator, a CPU block, a pump and a reservoir.
Tubing and fans and fittings to follow.

And all of this really depends on the case this unit is going into.

Your going to need a radiator, a CPU block, a pump and a reservoir.
Tubing and fans and fittings to follow.

And all of this really depends on the case this unit is going into.

Would it be better to just give a gift card to help buy the WC stuff for the system? I still bet we could find a used 1366 water block for cheap, possibly a rad.

Would it be better to just give a gift card to help buy the WC stuff for the system? I still bet we could find a used 1366 water block for cheap, possibly a rad.

You can most likely find ALL the stuff you need on teh FS/FT forums for real cheap.

Total of $105 donated now!
Then all the parts!
Awesome sauce!

The good thing about a WC system is you can put it together, fill it, leak check it, then empty the water. I would recommend a HAF 932 and you can mount the rad to the top, put the pump and res in a bay. Makes for a very clean setup.

HAF912 is perfect if you mount rad outside (on top of the case) .. that's how I do with my rigs :D
HAF912 costs much less .. about $45 + tax at MC... (after $10MIR)

I have a 912 for my home server, very nice case. I agree, could mount the rad on top of the case instead of inside and still have a nice setup for less money.

Thanks to 0ldways, he just put $160 in the hat, and some HDDs.

These will be some nice boxen!

Last edited:
I just have to say this even though I am not a member of your folding team you guys make me proud.

As Kendrak says
FOLD ON !

Grandpa_01

Awesome progress, hopefully come March I'll be able to help out a bit more.

Grumpy_Rock just threw in $25 into the hat!

Up to 170 now!

What do you need for parts? I have have some things in the basement.

What do you need for parts? I have have some things in the basement.

At this point looks like were looking for watercooling gear. So if you have any W/C gear, PM Kendrak with what you have cause that would be a major benefit.

Kendrak, list o stuff for watercooling if going off a HAF 912:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233

For res / pump assembly, something like this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=30282 is not only very affordable, but for a single CPU being cooled, is very efficient.

For your rad, something like this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=59_457_667_200&products_id=29208 is affordable and also reliable.

Fans will depend on you, alot of people have preferences in fans, but as long as you get a good cfm of push, than your really good. The radiator is 2x120, thats all you need to remember

Now for a CPU block, I suggest spending a litttttttle more money and going with: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=59_971_498_493&products_id=31146 from swiftech. There products always seem to be WAY more reliable than most (danger den excluding).

For waterflow, I suggest going with 13mm tubing, or better.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...roduct_info&cPath=59_413_418&products_id=1953

Now at 13mm tubing, all your fittings need to be 13mm as well. There is alot, again, of who is better for fittings or whatnot, but you will need some straight fittings more than anything for this build.

Now, for your loop, I heavily suggest going pump to rad to block back to pump, but others may suggest otherwise, like rad to pump to cpu to rad. Just depends on what your cup of tea is, but on the HAF 912, its easier (without modding case) to go from rad to cpu to pump, but thats just me.

Hope this helps?

If you plan on cooling gpu's as well, than your building will very much be different.

Apogee is a nice cpu block. I use an Apogee XT for my 3930K.

Apogee is a nice cpu block. I use an Apogee XT for my 3930K.

I suggest only 2 companies when it comes to blocks, swiftech and Danger Den, Swiftech did a wonderful job with there Apogee blocks and I truly think at this point in time there is no better block.

that used GTZ would be able to handle the i7 without any issues.

If you want to go new, http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swaphdcpuwab.html That's swiftech's latest block and 60 bucks is a pretty solid price.

Also its too bad that case can't handle a triple rad, then you'd really see some outstanding cooling.

If u get a pump donated and need a res, i've got an old school swiftech micro res available I could toss into it. Plastic barbs kinda suck, but 100% functional.

Last edited:
Besides WC stuff..... I think we have it all.

I wana wait on the WC stuff till after everything else, that way I can see what will work best.

A bunch of stuff is incoming and should start showing up today and tomorrow.

When it gets here I will be putting up pics and ordering the parts that are still needed with the donated money.

Sent $20 to the cause. Do we need any tubing? I have 10' of tubing, 1/2" i.d., 3/4" o.d. (new, never used) LMK.

We are now up to $210 in donations and here are some of the parts that showed up yesterday and today!

hardbox2-14-12.jpg

Back