Verizon Setting Up Streaming Service With Redbox

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Associated Press, Verizon and Redbox are setting up a streaming service to challenge Netflix.

Challenging Netflix, phone company Verizon Communications Inc. says it will start a video streaming service later this year in cooperation with Redbox and its DVD rental kiosks. Verizon and Coinstar Inc., Redbox's parent, say the service will be national and available to non-Verizon customers. It adds another leg to Verizon's quest to become a force in home entertainment, and looks set to compete to some extent with the cable-TV services it already sells.

So is Verizon going to be able to barter deals for content that allow them to price at the same levels as netflix? Or are they going to run into the same problems and have to charge more? and in which case if they are charging more and people use them as opposed to allowing netflix to charge more, does that not seem sort of retarded?

Streaming is not the only thing this venture will do. It also intends to give subscribers access to DVD and Blu-ray discs as well. So they are going to duplicate the delivery infrastructure of Netflix?

That's great, more streaming services while service providers start putting caps on usage.

If it's a buffet style service like Netflix, that might be cool, but if they do like amazon and the rest and want to charge you $4 to watch a tv show episode they won't be getting my money.

More competition towards Netflix the better.

Well the thing is that Verizon could crush Netlfix like a bug due to the fact that Verizon can get a much larger and much more vast library than Netflix can ever hope to obtain due to their size of their bottomless pockets.

I could see AT&T trying to acquire Netflix when Verizon starts to crush them.

So will it turn into a conflict of interest when Verizon starts charging Netflix more to access their network?

More competition towards Netflix the better.

yep, instead of one service that costs $8 and has most (not all) of the stuff, we can have 20 that cost $8 and have little bits each!!!!!!!!!.. so we are back to cable TV like viewing, $6 a movie channel with 5 of them.

cant understand how $8 and average sellection will ever be worse then the way its heading which is 10 at $8 each with specialized sellections.

$8 or $80 $72 more seems a bit... wrong to me. HBO GO may be a "sorta" right step, but its already been confiremd by leaked memo's they plan on charging later for this service, be it a few buck or? in the next 2-4 years..... hook um for free then charge.

I feel like verizon is saying, "BUY OUR CAR, oh and forget the fact that we will no longer expand our fios (roads) network."

Back