Whiskey Charts Course from Drink to Biofuel

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Scotland has vowed to provide all electricity needs by 2020 with clean energy and is well on way to meeting that goal. Scotland is now turning attention toward replacing dependency on petro fuels with biofuel made from the by-products of whisky from the country’s massive whisky production. Driving with a load on may finally get a positive spin :D

Fuel mileage will definitely suffer when you have to choose between single malt or a road trip.......

If they can kick the English off their oil, they have pretty solid North Sea reserves.

I'm all for alternative forms of energy, independence from oil producing countries, etc.

But "clean energy" bottom line is you're still making a combustion/burning using some sort of plant matter (guess where oil came from) so you're binding carbon to oxygen to make a bang, which creates CO2. I guess the only upside is this is existing carbon as opposed to carbon that was sequestered millions of years ago (oil)

The title is wrong but the post is correct (and the article is cool) - we don't distill whiskey here in Scotland, we distill whisky. If you want whiskey go to Ireland or the US :) .

Out of interest it seems that Sweden, FInland, Denmark, and Australia all now produce whisky, alongside the old familiars of Japan, Canada, India, Germany, England and Wales.

Even though i'm biased toward whisky made in Scotland, i'd urge people to try any whisky around the globe as theres some good stuff out there!

I'm all for alternative forms of energy, independence from oil producing countries, etc.

But "clean energy" bottom line is you're still making a combustion/burning using some sort of plant matter (guess where oil came from) so you're binding carbon to oxygen to make a bang, which creates CO2. I guess the only upside is this is existing carbon as opposed to carbon that was sequestered millions of years ago (oil)

Which is a pretty big upside. An equivalent amount of CO2 is sequestered when you grow plants to make biofuel.

Burning fossil fuels releases, well, fossilized CO2 into the air. None is removed unless you plant a tree or something every time you buy a tank of gas.

Net zero change in CO2 - all that the AGW believers care about.

Funny article, but still not going to make ethanol practical.

In other news, I was looking for a laptop on eBay. Seller was from Ireland and was selling it, because of spilled beer damage. Scottish and Irish not helping their stereotypes recently... :D

Sake might be a better choice...The US produces a load of rice already and it has other benefits! (If you get the right stuff no hangover!)

With a gallon of whisky I could RUN to wherever I needed to get to (liquid superhero, or drunk enough to hitchhike). And have more fun. And I'd be richer, since I didn't buy a car to get me there.

Win win win...

The title is wrong but the post is correct (and the article is cool) - we don't distill whiskey here in Scotland, we distill whisky. If you want whiskey go to Ireland or the US :) .

Out of interest it seems that Sweden, FInland, Denmark, and Australia all now produce whisky, alongside the old familiars of Japan, Canada, India, Germany, England and Wales.

Even though i'm biased toward whisky made in Scotland, i'd urge people to try any whisky around the globe as theres some good stuff out there!

Bruichladdich, because they were manufacturing WMD's for Iraq.

Back