Gamers Ignore Corpse in Internet Cafe

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
To say that the gamers in Taipei are hardcore would be doing them a great injustice, they are inhuman. A 23 year old gamer died at the keyboard after playing 10 straight hours of playing World of Warcraft and remained there for an additional nine hours before being discovered by the management of the Internet café. Other gamers noticed he had stopped moving, but continued to play. Now that’s [H]ard. :eek:

“I thought that he was only dozing off and paid no particular attention,” the clerk said, adding that when he went to wake Chen up when his 23 hours were up, he saw that his face was blackened and that he was sitting rigidly in the sofa chair.

10 hours? That honestly seems a bit low. He must have been in bad health (of some sort) beforehand. If i keeled over after 10 hours of gaming i'd have been dead long ago.

About 10 other players were in the cafe, but said they only knew something had happened after the police started cordoning off the area for forensic sweeps, but to the police officers’ surprise, most either stayed in front of their computers and kept on gaming or took little interest.

good lord

and with the police tape up and everything, people on the other side are still sittin at their computers. :p

Should've removed the poster of the chick. That might have caused some harm to him.

people still play WoW for 10+ hours straight?

And gaming didn't kill him. He just happened to die while gaming. It wasn't like one of the 48 hour binges...

See this is evidence how games are getting dumbed down. If he'd been playing Call of Duty he probably would have had the highest ranking...

You hear more about these stories from Asia then anywhere else. Must be the reason why Blizzard is making an Asian themed expansion.

people still play WoW for 10+ hours straight?

And gaming didn't kill him. He just happened to die while gaming. It wasn't like one of the 48 hour binges...

Gaming didnt kill him, but gaming is a culprit still and led him into neglecting his health. Not only that, but gaming turned these other gamers into apathetic bystanders. Its mortifying to think if games now can do this to a generation what will it do in the future? Could games ever be banned in the future? I think its important to debate these things.

Gaming didnt kill him, but gaming is a culprit still and led him into neglecting his health. Not only that, but gaming turned these other gamers into apathetic bystanders. Its mortifying to think if games now can do this to a generation what will it do in the future? Could games ever be banned in the future? I think its important to debate these things.

Answer: No. Games are becomming bigger and bigger buisness. Look at the movie/music industry. That kid of lobbying power, which goverment is going to try and put an end to that? :D

Please indicate the most disturbing:
a) Gamer games himself to death
b) People ignore dead gamer
c) Photo of dead gamer
d) People still gaming with corpse cordoned on next aisle.

Please indicate the most disturbing:
a) Gamer games himself to death
b) People ignore dead gamer
c) Photo of dead gamer
d) People still gaming with corpse cordoned on next aisle.

Forgot one!
e) People spread word over internet, are all OMG!!! Then forget about it 3 seconds later...

If he neglected his health while gaming, then he would have done it one way or another. He was most likely either exhausted or took some sort of substance. Something you could also find in a rave party. Another way of putting it is Darwinism.

The people there probably didn't notice cause he looked passed out. Which is something you would see late at night.

This isn't any more shocking than the video of someone driving the truck over a kid then backing up to do it again then someone else also doing it.
Nothing surprises me when it comes to the behavior of people.

Who cares. I'd ignore him too if I had paid for X hours, it's not like they are going to refund me my time that I waste telling the management. That being said, I wouldn't be at a gaming cafe to begin with.

that pic is creepy.

werido in the corner doses off at internet cafe. Everyone else doesn't care, they keep doing what they are doing. They only find out he was dead when his paid time was nearly up. I wonder how long he might have sat there unnoticed if he had paid for even more time.

Most of SE Asia (the metropolitan area at least) has a very different culture than Westerners are accustomed to.

They are much more isolated into self-centered spheres concerning themselves only with themselves and those close to them.

You can have a dead baby lying on the side of the road in Shanghai, and it could be hours before anyone touches it or calls authorities. So if the other gamers didn't know this guy, then most could give two rats asses, and would do their best not to get involved.

Personally, I've had more 10hr gaming sessions than I can shake a stick at, so this guy clearly had some special health issue, was taking some kind of drug, or was such a spaz that he allowed himself to get seriously dehydrated.

the culprit isn't gaming, it's stupidity. The guy could have been lying on a beach for 10 hours, mountain climbing for 10 hours, or having sex for 10 hours, and he probably would have still died (though the last is the way to go imo). If you don't take care of your body, it will not take care of you.

As far as the bystanders, I'm going to throw them a little slack. You know how many times in college I saw people, or I myself passed out in a library, appearing dead to the world, only to wake up from the comatose hours later, usually in a pool of drool? If someone woke me up, I'd be pretty pissed off. Likewise, I never walked over to other people and took their pulse or anything to be sure...am I an apathetic bystander?

some of you guys just like a crusade, no matter how frivolous...

I've heard from other sources he played for 23 hours straight before he died, but yeah, he had previous problems. Also, I don't think you should game for more than 3 hours straight without a break. I love my games, but that just isn't healthy.

and with the police tape up and everything, people on the other side are still sittin at their computers. :p

Duck-Sauce-Charlie-Sheen-Spinstyles-Bi-Winning-Edit.jpg

No offense, but as soon as I read the thread title, I knew it was asian type people.

How come they like to play so hardcore? First the couples let babies die as they farm WoW for gold to sell, and now a dude just straight up dies at 23 years old..... whoa man. Asians clearly need a gaming addiction education course before turning 18.

No offense, but as soon as I read the thread title, I knew it was asian type people.

How come they like to play so hardcore? First the couples let babies die as they farm WoW for gold to sell, and now a dude just straight up dies at 23 years old..... whoa man. Asians clearly need a gaming addiction education course before turning 18.

Every culture has their underclass.

I've heard from other sources he played for 23 hours straight before he died, but yeah, he had previous problems. Also, I don't think you should game for more than 3 hours straight without a break. I love my games, but that just isn't healthy.
He had paid for 23 hours, but died after 10 (from the original article). Whether he meant to go for 23 hours straight or over several sessions is unclear. However, given that he apparently died at the 10 hour mark (if you allow that the ME was right/honest), he was probably in for a long haul.

As Ducman pointed out, it was probably some pre-existing condition (per the article's notice of an appointment - perhaps one for a condition with a bad prognosis?).

Finally...

Lenin, Y U NO ADVOCATE CLASSLESS SOCIETY? ;)

He had paid for 23 hours, but died after 10 (from the original article). Whether he meant to go for 23 hours straight or over several sessions is unclear. However, given that he apparently died at the 10 hour mark (if you allow that the ME was right/honest), he was probably in for a long haul.

As Ducman pointed out, it was probably some pre-existing condition (per the article's notice of an appointment - perhaps one for a condition with a bad prognosis?).

Finally...

Lenin, Y U NO ADVOCATE CLASSLESS SOCIETY? ;)

:D Because some people are better than others, and it has nothing to do with race. Communism is silly!

Well im a bit older now but i would pull 10 to 16 hour grinding on DAOC or even Ultima Online so this guy had to hav esome other health problems.

He only played 10 hours then died?

Lame I have done a longer game playing session than that before.

He has a heart ailment apparently. And the temperature of the place made clotting more likely, i.e. it could have even happened while he's asleep, so long as the temperature is the same.

Well he died after 10 hours, but he paid for 23... so what's to say he hadn't already played several 23 hour sessions in the preceding days. I'm sure it was because he had some sort of health problem to start with, but either way, sitting still for long periods of times is not good for your health.

Back