Google Adding A New Layer to Android Security

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has just announced a security feature codenamed Bouncer. I guess this means that if you try anything funny in the Android market place and you'll be out on your ear. ;)

The service performs a set of analyses on new applications, applications already in Android Market, and developer accounts. Here’s how it works: once an application is uploaded, the service immediately starts analyzing it for known malware, spyware and trojans. It also looks for behaviors that indicate an application might be misbehaving, and compares it against previously analyzed apps to detect possible red flags.

Last edited:
A step in the right direction that was long overdue imho.
It does not replace common sense, but it is sure to help.

A step in the right direction that was long overdue imho.
It does not replace common sense, but it is sure to help.

So long overdue they did it 6+ months ago?

Quote from the article:
The service has been looking for malicious apps in Market for a while now, and between the first and second halves of 2011, we saw a 40% decrease in the number of potentially-malicious downloads from Android Market.

Which just highlights how full of shit Symantec is for all the FUD "reports" coming out of them.

So long overdue they did it 6+ months ago?

It was long overdue a year prior to six months ago even.

Like I said in another thread, Nobody, nobody, would give Steam or Origin a pass if their app service were to let malware through, and only zealots would give Apple a pass on it either. So taking steps to prevent malware from being served in the Android Market itself should be considered one of those things that should have been there at the start, or damn near it.

Their is an assumption of trust when you download something from a store run by the OS maker.

That is great news and a much needed step in the right direction.
Which just highlights how full of shit Symantec is for all the FUD "reports" coming out of them.

it's not just symantic and malware companies that are looking for and reporting malware on mobile platforms. Just because you've never been infected doesn't mean that it doesnt exist. This is a good move by google

That is great news and a much needed step in the right direction.

it's not just symantic and malware companies that are looking for and reporting malware on mobile platforms. Just because you've never been infected doesn't mean that it doesnt exist. This is a good move by google
But the latest big one was only reported by Symantec. I think that's the one kllrnohj was maybe referring to.

But the latest big one was only reported by Symantec. I think that's the one kllrnohj was maybe referring to.

The latest one Symantec reported was not really malware, more like adware. Which is a perfectly fine situation for a free app that clearly states it is ad supported. But that does not change my opinion that Google needs to do at least some policing in it's own market place.

MS appears to be bringing their A game to the market with Win8 on Arm. If we want to keep Android relevant in a world where it has to compete with MS's A game, I feel we prolly need to keep the bad press to a minimum. Taking proactive steps to prevent malware problems is a step in the right direction imo.

Back