Sandia Labs Engineers Create 'Self-Guided' Bullet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Whether you are for or against these new high-tech self guided bullets is going to depend on which end of the gun you are on. ;)

Pairing the M2 with the guided bullet would allow soldiers to hit their mark faster and with precision. At 4 inches long and a half-inch in diameter, the bullet directs itself like a tiny guided missile and can hit a target more than a mile away. It's designed to twist and turn, making up to 30 corrections per second.

Haven't we seen this before. It's cool and all but Steve you posted this last week.

agani, it would suck shoting it from a concealed location, Inside a building under cover through a hole in the wall...

You mean "replay" doesn't already exist?

ZORG-ZF-1-POD-WEAPON.-500x378.jpg

Reminds me of that old Tom Selleck movie Runaway. They had smart bullets in that film, but they were incredibly slow.

Pretty cool. I'll take some for each of my guns please! I always wondered how long it was going to take for this kind of technology...and yes The 5th Element was one of the first things to come to mind. :p

I know I'm dating myself- but this story reminded me of the novel Logan's Run. Sandmen had six types of bullets and the one runners really feared was the "Homer."

agani, it would suck shoting it from a concealed location, Inside a building under cover through a hole in the wall...

Why is that? If you had a secondary piece of equipment with a camera and a laser point that could be used around corners/above ledges you could have that designating targets and be blind firing smart bullets without having to expose yourself to return fire. Seems pretty cool to me.

Original Article said:
"What we want to do is make it cheap enough to make it cost effective for the military to use in a machine gun," he said. "It's not going to be millions of dollars, but it's not going to be a buck a piece either."

Wow it's going to cost more than $1, but less than a $10,000,000 each bullet. :rolleyes:
Dude's really hedging his bets.

For this tech to make a difference in the battle field, it's going to have to be relatively cheap. Else it will only be used by special forces on high value targets.

Back