AMD driver update again nonfunctional

Zorn

Limp Gawd
As has happened *EVERY SINGLE* time I have ever tried to update an AMD driver, it has caused a massive system problem again when trying to update to the 12.x series. This time, upon install of the new driver, I get the message "Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center."

I have tried removing all drivers, using driver sweeper, complete removals, reboots, reinstalls about 6 times now. Tried 12.1, 12.2. No luck same shit every time. Also every time I go to install the driver, everything completes lightning fast, the entire thing takes about 12 seconds. So I know for sure nothing is really happening.

Anyone have any clue how to resolve something like this? This literally has happened every time I have EVER tried to update my AMD drivers. AMD's driver support is the worst I have ever experienced from a company.

Using driver sweeper is usually the cause of that... It deletes files it shouldn't. Unpack 12.1 or whatever, uninstall just the CCC through the ATI install, then go to C:\AMD or wherever you extracted the driver installer, find packages -> Apps -> CCC2 and install each folder pertaining to your OS. IE: 64 bit folders only for 64 bit OS.

I don't run driver sweeper or anything that claims to do what it does. Anytime I've had issues sufficient to warrant doing so, it hasn't helped me and I ended up reformatting the OS drive and reinstalling anyway.

The first time I simply tried updating without using driver sweeper. I only resorted to it when it failed majorly. Also tried doing what was listed in the first post. It does not work.

I just uninstall the driver and install the new one. With NVIDIA drivers I can usually get away with installing over the top of the existing driver. With AMD, I usually have problems doing that.

I just uninstall the driver and install the new one. With NVIDIA drivers I can usually get away with installing over the top of the existing driver. With AMD, I usually have problems doing that.

This is precisely what I did the first time. It immediately caused this issue.

I use Driver Sweeper, but I first boot into VGA Mode and uninstall. Then I run Driver Sweeper, then reboot and install the new drivers.

This is why I'm antsy about going back to AMD. I uninstalled and installed drivers more frequently with AMD, reboots, drive sweeper, deleting empty files, CCC tweaks, registry edit etc.
The recent NV driver installed without rebooting my PC, installed right over the previous version. Once you find the right AMD driver it's smooth sailing, but the process is ridiculous at times.

Sans the person who never had an issue with any AMD driver of course.

As has happened *EVERY SINGLE* time I have ever tried to update an AMD driver, it has caused a massive system problem again when trying to update to the 12.x series. This time, upon install of the new driver, I get the message "Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center."

I have tried removing all drivers, using driver sweeper, complete removals, reboots, reinstalls about 6 times now. Tried 12.1, 12.2. No luck same shit every time. Also every time I go to install the driver, everything completes lightning fast, the entire thing takes about 12 seconds. So I know for sure nothing is really happening.

Anyone have any clue how to resolve something like this? This literally has happened every time I have EVER tried to update my AMD drivers. AMD's driver support is the worst I have ever experienced from a company.

Just reformat. Something is screwy with your OS. Reformat in the sense of non-image format. A real format with SP1 update in windows 7.

Don't use driver sweeper. It deletes stuff it shouldn't. You should always use the control panel uninstall, if you use driver sweeper without doing that you will fuck your system up guaranteed.

You should use system restore if you muck things up, restore to an earlier time. It should fix your CCC.

Have you checked the event logs for any errors being thrown by the installer?

Sounds Like something with the install shield is fubared.

Are you running with uac on or off?

I wouldn't call this a driver problem but more of a fubared OS.

Are you running custom or express install?

And as the others have said. Stay away from driver sweeper. Whole sale deletion tools are never the answer

Sounds like something isn't right with your OS install.

I've installed over previous AMD driver releases many times, and never had an issue.

I've installed over previous AMD driver releases many times, and never had an issue.

Same here. Be *really* careful with driver sweeper, it will delete files that it shouldn't!

You should use the control panel uninstall first, always.

Never again. I've just had it with amd's inability to code a gd installer. I bailed on my 6950 when i couldnt reliably update the drivers, and now my wife's pc is basically bricked re the catalyst control center. Nothing fixes this, ie uninstalls, sweeper, dotnet updates.... Do you know what a p i t a it is to wipe my wife's pc? Pitty me.

Amd you are dead to me.

I guess I am the luck one that have no issue since 4870, which all I did was install drivers on top of another... Nothing more...

And it works, no problem so far for years... nVidia on the other hand gave me the display driver issues....

same here with my laptop, only time i ever had a problem was the 11.1 drivers i think which had 5 or 6 beta versions so when i updated to the 11.2 drivers it freaked out because the files from the 11.2 were actually older then the most recent 11.1 beta drivers.

I guess I am the luck one that have no issue since 4870, which all I did was install drivers on top of another... Nothing more...

And it works, no problem so far for years... nVidia on the other hand gave me the display driver issues....

Same. Ever since I got my 6970s, no problem just installing each update over the last.

I don't run driver sweeper or anything that claims to do what it does. Anytime I've had issues sufficient to warrant doing so, it hasn't helped me and I ended up reformatting the OS drive and reinstalling anyway.

I've run driver sweeper every single time I update drivers for years now. Every time I don't, I have issues.

Edit: To be clear, I CP uninstall, reboot into safe, driver sweep, reboot into normal, install new drivers, reboot, install new caps, reboot.

Last edited:
Back