Cool Techie Time-Lapse Video of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not really sure what it is, but I really like this video. Time-lapse videos in general are pretty cool but I think you'll agree, this one is done better than most.

The VLA is a radio telescope array. It's halfway animated, of course. Not just a time lapse. Radio telescopes are most famous as what they use for SETI, but they're also used for a lot of real science.

Interferometry is where it's at for radio telescopes, they by nature of how large radio wavelengths are radio telescopes tend to have lousy resolution, unless the telescope is obscenely large (think Arecibo). With interferometry you can link identical telescopes together and using computers get a resolution of a telescope as far as the separation points between them, so for something like the VLA that's a radio telescope 21 miles wide.

There's nothing unscientific about seti. They use the scientific method to try and find aliens. Whether you believe in aliens or not does not make what they do not science.

It's not about believing aliens could exist. It's the assumptions that the program makes, as well as all of the energy wasted.

Some of their outreach and educational programs are good, but that's about it. Their hypothesis and methodology has severe flaws, and the resources could be better directed to actually learn things about the universe.

Pitabred said:
It's not about believing aliens could exist. It's the assumptions that the program makes, as well as all of the energy wasted.

Hmmm, please list said assumptions and please quantify the amount of energy wasted.

Pitabred said:
Some of their outreach and educational programs are good, but that's about it. Their hypothesis and methodology has severe flaws, and the resources could be better directed to actually learn things about the universe.

If you are going to talk out of your ass about what is and is not "real science" then I believe you should do a better job of illustrating with facts instead this load of your half ass shitty opinions.

Just saying.

The overlay graphics are cool, but pointless. They convey no information at all.

yea I was looking for something good in comparison to the usual video of the day level stuff that gets tossed around here, kinda an underwhelming video.

I am sort of confused about the overall sentiment for this video. I thought the direction and production value was nice and original compared to what I have seen before.

I enjoyed it

Hmmm, please list said assumptions and please quantify the amount of energy wasted.

Assumptions include assuming that alien life would exist at the same time as us in the universe (taking into account relativity and all as well), much less be advanced enough to create radio signals, or would use a narrow band of radio to communicate, would even consider doing so, etc. Heck, we've got people saying we shouldn't spend out radio signals because it might attract malicious aliens... do you think they might have thought of that? There's also the fact that the Drake equation is just a half-assed joke. It's a thought experiment, nothing rigorous, except it's basically the basis of the entire SETI project.

As for energy, how many hours of how many computers (the top one right now contains 6 GTX590's) cranking away at SETI@Home, and then the radio dish energy on top of that, not to mention all the servers managing all of that?

If you are going to talk out of your ass about what is and is not "real science" then I believe you should do a better job of illustrating with facts instead this load of your half ass shitty opinions.

Just saying.

Riiiight. You go, internet tough guy. It's sad that someone with access to Google can't figure this stuff out on their own. But then again, I suppose it speaks to the quality of science education that people don't know statistics, physics or cosmology to enough of a degree to comment intelligently, but do know just enough to think that they do.

This video touched me in a special way cuz my final architecture project was on this site. Iono if you guys can appreciate what this video was trying to accomplish, but from an artistic perspective it's quite amazing, you kinda have to actual be at the site and really soak in the environment, and see beyond it from a normal perspective.

Additionally, this is such a beautiful place and the immensity of the site is huge, when the array dishes are spread out to their maximum, it covers a distance of 21 miles, unbelievable. Oh and talking with the actual scientists involved and what they're doing, it's pretty incredible what they're able to accomplish.

Funny how you guys interpret this video from an analytical perspective rather than an emotional one, maybe if there were lasers attached to the prairie dogs then perhaps you guys would like it more. Iono, right brain vs left I guess....

It's the assumptions that the program makes, as well as all of the energy wasted.

If you think it's such a waste of time then you should spend more effort to convince others why you think they're wasting their time.

aliens-meme.jpg

Eh, utter waste of time. If we do find aliens, or they find us, we'll be hiding in bunkers as the lazerrrzzz fry everyone. Would rather turn those stupid things into a solar farm.

Assumptions include assuming that alien life would exist at the same time as us in the universe (taking into account relativity and all as well), much less be advanced enough to create radio signals, or would use a narrow band of radio to communicate, would even consider doing so, etc. Heck, we've got people saying we shouldn't spend out radio signals because it might attract malicious aliens... do you think they might have thought of that? There's also the fact that the Drake equation is just a half-assed joke. It's a thought experiment, nothing rigorous, except it's basically the basis of the entire SETI project.

As for energy, how many hours of how many computers (the top one right now contains 6 GTX590's) cranking away at SETI@Home, and then the radio dish energy on top of that, not to mention all the servers managing all of that?

Riiiight. You go, internet tough guy. It's sad that someone with access to Google can't figure this stuff out on their own. But then again, I suppose it speaks to the quality of science education that people don't know statistics, physics or cosmology to enough of a degree to comment intelligently, but do know just enough to think that they do.

Hey, don't get pissy because I called your ass out. I could say the same thing right back to you..."Google...HURRR" because your first post was a bunch of rancid opinionated tripe.

You can now wash the sand out of your little vagina.

Back