Patent Plaintiffs Target Facebook as IPO Approaches

HardOCP News

[H] News
Coming as a shock to absolutely no one, Facebook is fending off patent lawsuits left and right as it prepares for an anticipated $100B IPO. Hmmm, I wonder if that has anything to do with all these lawsuits? ;)

As it prepares for one of the biggest IPOs ever, Facebook is coming under the same fierce attacks being waged against other big technology companies: patent lawsuits. Last year, Facebook was named as a defendant in 22 lawsuits accusing it of patent infringement, double the number from 2010, according to a Reuters analysis of court documents on legal database Westlaw, a Thomson Reuters unit.

*sigh* there needs to be a whole new system for software patents, the existing system is broken as it is, and "code" makes it too easy to vaguely patent simplistic things.

Facebook violated a patent that covers the core ability to transmit messages to large networks of users
really?

Sorry, but there shouldn't be be any sort of software patents, period. Trademarks i can understand, but the idea that someone can own the rights to a combination of software commands is silly. I wonder how many attorneys work for the patent office and how many people involved in patent policy are or were attorneys.

Sorry, but there shouldn't be be any sort of software patents, period. Trademarks i can understand, but the idea that someone can own the rights to a combination of software commands is silly. I wonder how many attorneys work for the patent office and how many people involved in patent policy are or were attorneys.

I'm ok with that, in fact any "ideas" or "techniques" for how to do something should not be patentable, only physical objects.

Back