LG Begins Production of OLED TV’s in July

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Production of the 55” OLED TV from Electronics giant LG will begin in July, despite a weak market and low demand for premium products. The initial production will be limited to around 48k units and have an estimated price in the $8k range each until production ramps up sometime in 2013.

Less than 4mm thick and weighing just 16 pounds, the TV supports passive 3D and Full HD resolution, though LG is yet to say exactly what it – or production variants – will cost.

Hooray! At least the ball is moving. Looking forward to buying one in 3-4 years hah

Hahahahaa 8k! *cough* *cough* *hack* *cough* Dear lord, it's only for rich people!

Ah well.. like above, I'm looking forward for it to lower in price... if nothing else, I'll happily hope for more price drops in LED, though I doubt it will be significant.

I want to know what the response time is, and how long it will be before we can get reasonably priced OLED computer monitors in the 22"-27" range

Did they increase this techs life expectancy? I thought I read awhile back these things had a short life span. (maybe I'm uninformed)

$8k...ouch, but finally, after all these years it is nice to see OLED is ready to come out swinging. I think after the tech matures a little bit and the price drops, you can kiss LCD's ass goodbye. Now...bring on the sub $1k super high density, no lag, infinite refresh and contrast, high dynamic capable PC displays, as I am ready to put together at least a 3 display setup. :)

$8k...ouch, but finally, after all these years it is nice to see OLED is ready to come out swinging. I think after the tech matures a little bit and the price drops, you can kiss LCD's ass goodbye. Now...bring on the sub $1k super high density, no lag, infinite refresh and contrast, high dynamic capable PC displays, as I am ready to put together at least a 3 display setup. :)

Well, as far as I know... 8k is just the number being thrown around.

Well, as far as I know... 8k is just the number being thrown around.

Well, a high price is to be expected when something new like this hits the market. I figure after 3-4 years, the price will come down to the point where it will compete directly with other display technologies, and when that happens, its pretty much game over for most of them.

I can't wait to get my first look at one.

Nah, I agree. And I hope that happens sooner than later. OLED tech seems pretty damn impressive. But not 2k for 11inch impressive.

Finally, mass production of OLED TV's. Willing to bet that in 2-3 years OLED TV's will be similarly priced as the TV's today. It'll be my next TV upgrade. :cool:

If I remember correctly they are using coloured white OLED, hence same lifespan regardless of colour.

A few more years and a few more inches and I will replace my Pioneer plasma TV.

White LED doesn't exist. LEDs can only produce primary colors. You can obtain white light by putting together a blue, red and green LED or by fluorescence.

The blue LEDs in OLED are still a bottleneck but not nearly as much as they used to be. This is to be expected because blue light has the shortest wavelength of the three colors and thus requires a wider bandgap and more energy.

Isn't someone coming out with a crystalline L.E.D Tv in the next year or two? That's what I'd be putting my my money on. Should be just as good as oled, much cheaper to mass produce, and have a much better life span. That's the theory anyway. None of it matters until you can buy a 50" 1080 display for around a thousand bucks.

They didn't show how the cables and power source are cabled to the TV.

Is it fair to assume that and external power brick and video cable adapter box are used rather than trying to plug a cable into something 4mm thick?

Even a mini-HDMI is too big to put on the side of it, and even at that there's no room for video processing hardware.

So where's the box driving it in the photos?

I don't know if it's the same with this model. But I think the other OLED that were displayed in the past had a thinker base that handles all that.

They didn't show how the cables and power source are cabled to the TV.

Is it fair to assume that and external power brick and video cable adapter box are used rather than trying to plug a cable into something 4mm thick?

Even a mini-HDMI is too big to put on the side of it, and even at that there's no room for video processing hardware.

So where's the box driving it in the photos?

Hmm, good questions. I guess time will tell. Still, I'm impressed by the potential thiness of this tv. 16 pounds and 40mm? You could easily hang 16 pounds on four well placed nails or screws driven into a stud. Possibly '2'. I wonder if you could somehow hang/attach this to a ceiling so you could lie down in bed while watching this without worries of it falling on your head. I know a projector can potentially accomplish this, but, my ceiling is not flat(patterned/stucko'd/whatever you call it) which would warp the image.

Brent's thinking the same thing I'm thinking...

Eyefinity with 55" TVs

I just saw the empty box of a LG 55" LED tv on my way home I knew I should have grabbed a picture of it.

LED = LED backlighting.
OLED = LED pixels.

One is a lot better than the other.

whats the point if it is still low resolution 1080p

oh well at least some actual new technology rather than 3d and other gimmicks

They just need a more mature manufacturing process, and these babies will be more affordable.

I remember going to BB and seeing the Pioneer Plasma 50" for $10,000 dollars.

Back