27k Google Chromebooks Headed to U.S. Schools

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In what could only be called a business coup for Google, a new deal to put 27k Chromebooks in the hands of students in three school districts in three states may just be the boost in exposure Google’s Chromebook has needed. Sure, you say what is 27k devices in the grand scheme of things? Student users soon become student buyers. :cool:

The Chromebooks will replace Netbooks, he said. "We were looking for a device that can be invisible. We want teachers to focus on instruction," not technical support, waiting for laptops to boot, or making sure they're charged

I was at a convention this past week for K-12 products. Google had a large booth and was demoing their chromebooks. $495 or something for the complete unit. Compare that to any apple product.

I'm not sure how this will make a dent in the netbook/air market. A bit of awareness? Probably? Persuade someone to buy a Chromebook? Yeah... I'm feeling pessimistic about that.

I think it's a great use of cloud technology, students do not need to run facebook or skype in class, they need to learn the school subject. Sorry if I sound a little old fashioned here but, the basic what you can connect to is school related material only sounds like the perfect thing for teaching.

I can see google making a killing on back end apps as well.

Invisible huh? Practically no technology is invisible, nothing as complex as a computer, cloud based or not.

Apple getting computers into schools might work for Apple, but I don't see how Google will profit from it.

Stupid quote of the day, "The Chromebook updates itself automatically and gets better over time."

When have updates not tended to slow up a computer? And, the goal is moving, what's seems good today seems worse tomorrow.

Stupid quote of the day, "The Chromebook updates itself automatically and gets better over time."

When have updates not tended to slow up a computer? And, the goal is moving, what's seems good today seems worse tomorrow.

Well, so far pretty much every update of Chrome has been faster than the one before it. Since Chrome OS is basically just Chrome, it's not hard to buy.

Also I dispute your claim that updates slow a computer. Having tons of random junk installed slows down a computer, OS updates rarely do.

Payback time. This was announced in 2007."Google plans to invest $600 million in a new datacenter in South Carolina, the state government said on Wednesday." So it comes to reason that the state will help Google out when it come to distributing their technology. Apple could have beaten Google to the punch. But their up here in my school district setting up a server and 100 ipads to be used as an experiament for text book replacement and teaching.

Because no other operating system out there has an automated update process. :rolleyes:

Also, this thing about batteries...don't Chromebooks use batteries or have they taken a page out of Apple's playbook, drawing electrical power from the magical juices that come from rainbows and unicorns?

Cloud computing...we've had thin clients for a rather long while and dumb terminals before that. I'm sure the people working for Wyse can attest to this operating model being in place before marketing sods got their hands on the silly cloud spin that has the world standing round in slack-jawed awe at the newness of putting your files someplace other than a local storage device.

Chromebooks have many advantages for education. However some schools will still require access to Windows applications. Ericom is working with several schools to address this requirement.

Ericom AccessNow is an HTML5 RDP client that enables students and staff to use their Chromebooks to connect to any RDP host, including Terminal Server, VDI virtual desktops and physical desktops and run their Windows applications and desktops in a browser.

Ericom‘s AccessNow does not require Java, Flash, Silverlight, ActiveX, or any other underlying technology to be installed on end-user devices – an HTML5 browser is all that is required.

For more information visit
http://www.ericom.com/AccessNow4Ed

You can also read our new white paper about Ericom's solutions for Chromebooks and Education:
http://www.ericom.com/specs/AN4EduWP

Note: I work for Ericom

Poor wireless network they are going to go on.
This is going to go over great, all that connections, all that data.
Yep nothing to see here, nothing to see here.

p.s
they have wireless right? i don't know anything about them, other then they are heavy cloud.

Back