White Space Wireless Broadband Makes Commercial Debut

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Wilmington NC became the first area to roll out “white space” wireless technology on a commercial basis on Thursday. Also called Super Wi-Fi or TV Band, the service is capable of delivering signal strength in line with 4G at longer distances than Wi-Fi.

White Space may also become the broadband delivery method of choice in rural areas un-served by cable or phone companies, replacing satellite and point to point transmissions

The whole spectrum should be switched over to a wireless technology that can deliver internet, tv, voice, radio, etc. on one big bandwidth channel.

Meh.. This is progression for the sake of progression.. But ultimately its fairly low bandwidth & range for anything really important..

Meh.. This is progression for the sake of progression.. But ultimately its fairly low bandwidth & range for anything really important..

I guess you did not read the article as it's only 10 times the range of wifi and it's not obstructed by buildings and foilage like wifi is.

If the end result is my parents get faster internet than the dial-up they're stuck with, then awesome...just awesome.

problem is with these types of service is that more uses who have it slower it gets to th epoint modem mite be faster (some Town had wifi like broadband and every one used to love it but to many of them recommended it to each other so not much better then hard line now)

problem is with these types of service is that more uses who have it slower it gets to th epoint modem mite be faster (some Town had wifi like broadband and every one used to love it but to many of them recommended it to each other so not much better then hard line now)

And that's any different than any other modern service provider? Try 3G or 4G in a heaviily populated area during the superbowl and tell me if everything doesnt slow down.

I see it as an additional pipe to whats already there...so data traffic loading on other systems will be reduced, so it's a good thing.

Back