Eyefinity issue, vertical "tear" line on DP screen

neologan

n00b
*It's vertical because i'm in portrait mode, in normal landscape mode it would be horizontal.*

This only happens when eyefinity is on, normal multi screen config doesn't cause this...

Running a typical setup here: 2x DVI 1x DP.

I have a tear line, pretty much like it's lagging on the display port screen, it doesn't happen on the DVI displays.

On static images, it's perfect, but this was me moving the window in circles, and you can clearly see it gets out of sync.

glitcht.jpg

Anyone know why this happens and if there is a fix?

*EDIT* by the way, this line moves from right to left very slowly, a few minutes later i do the some window moving test, and the line is no longer over on the right, but is just past middle now, eventually it will be over the left side, and then repeat to the right again.

Last edited:
This is a known issue due to timing issues between two different output signals. The only fix is to turn off VSync (which Windows uses in Aero) and get tearing all over.. Or get a new version of your video card with three of the same output type.

it's the sort of issue you find out after the fact in a forum, sadly. I don't know of any sites that reported on this issue, not the ones i visit anyway.

I absolutely can't live with this tearing, what are my options now? I assume I'll need access to 3 of the same ports, not mixed? Can I use 2 DP ports on one GPU, and then another on a second with crossfire?

I feel like slapping ATI round the head right now, do these people are get things actually working properly? Was under the impression that 2xDVI and 1XDP was ATI's recommended setup...

i'm looking into that at the moment, not good though as i have an Accelero Extreme plus II on my current 6970 and i doubt it will fit the Asus card as it's non-reference(?)

I might just wait for the 7950 variant and see how much faster it is than a 6970.

Just get a 7970 that has three DP outputs or wait for the 7990 or even Kepler.

Yes the new Asus card coming out in a few weeks has 4x DP and 2x DVI-D.

That's good news i guess, though i don't normally spend £400 on GPUs.

Is it a reference designed PCB? I tend to prefer going for reference design PCB's so it's usable for after market coolers.

thanks for the link. I do it for noise concerns, I run an ultra low noise rig (the only noise is a little voltage whine from the PSU), The cooler i have is inaudible, I doubt those Asus ones will be the same, certainly better than stock though :)

I will look into a 7950 Direct CU when it comes, that's probably the one for me.

Back