MicroCenter $120 Off AMD FX and Motherboard, Ends 29th

Getting hot IMO. Still can't get over the poor power usage of the BD cpus but with deals like this it's hard not to think about building a BD rig for gaming.

I'm still not sure if the discount is good on all main boards or if it is only select main boards.

Found this image over at over clock net. Not sure if it is official.

456x700px-LL-4f9629ce_mc31507.png

I called my store and they said $120 off any compatable board. I asked about the M5A99X-EVO and Sabertooth specificly.

If its less then $120, then you get the board for free, if its over $120, you get it off the price of the mobo.

I just went to MC to pick up an 8120 and Sabertooth 990FX. They wouldn't take $120 off the price and said the $120 was referring to the most expensive free motherboard. YMMV.

Well that sucks...Dude above said he called...

Get on the horn to the BOSS!

I emailed them telling them they should offer these deals to us hicks in small towns...

Can't hurt to complain!

YMMV on this one. You should read the thread over at SD. Some people were not able to get any combo at all. They were shot down by the store manager.
It should not be this way, but the stores seem to be all over the map on how they are handling this deal.
Others went in and got the lowest end cpu for this deal, the FX 4100 along with a free gigabyte 970 board.
It's possible to get a deal, but just depends on the people at your store. Good luck.

The page I found didnt even have boards listed. Maybe each store has its own sale?

They have the ad on a computer in store with the 3 motherboards listed. If you choose the most expensive one, that is what it means by "up to $120". For any other motherboard, it is only $40 off on a combo.

I got an email with some boards listed, but this is what it says: (cut and paste)

"A FEW EXAMPLES of the SPECIAL DEALS on MOTHERBOARDS
with PURCHASE of SELECT AMD FX Processors"

I think they have mishandled this promotion. They are not clear what combos are available and what boards for each cpu. The wording of "a few examples" seems to indicate many boards and combos would work, but yet it doesn't seem that way.

The SD thread has a screenshot from the email so you can see the boards and "examples".

That sucks. The deal is getting in the hot direction though and the way MC operates this deal could get better or be an on going thing. Just needs some time to settle in.

I've been pretty set on upgrading to a 2500k, but deals like this make me think twice. In fact, the same deal is the reason I have a 965BE instead of an i7.

http://imgur.com/a/Flm43

I've snipped out the relevant page and zoomed into the relevant parts here. The thing I see is that their "bundle savings" are different than the savings they show on the actual parts. Based on the $40 bundle savings table they have on the right side; the 8120 + Sabretooth = $349.99+tax out the door

(FYI - I'm leaving the rebate out of this shit since it's pointless really).

However, the section that specifically shows the sabretooth board + 8120 bundle clearly shows $79.99 (after the 10$ rebate). So, it would be $89.99 out the door for that board if you buy an 8120 with it according to that line, right?

Seems to me their math is completely wrong.

First table breaks down like this:
$199.99 + $189.99 = $389.98 - $40bundle = $349.99+tax

But, the bottom left section of the ad effectively shows this:
$199.99 + ($189.99 - $100 = $89) = $289.98+tax

$60 difference. I'm calling this false advertising.

So, anyone going in to buy one of these deals needs to carefully check that shit beforehand or you're getting fleeced.

*edit - I clipped this information from the online ad dated 1/30 - 2/12 just FYI since this post was showing "ends 29th"
*edit 2 - I'm aware the deal for the 8120 is supposed to be "better" than the normal $40 off but, I had a friend go in and damn near get in a fight with the store manager over this because the store manager insisted the savings for the 8120 + sabretooth was only $40 based on that right-hand chart and their registers were ringing it that way as well.

Last edited:
Deal is still on.....just pickup fx8120/asrock 970 EX4 last nite :D

Back