Social Media 'Private' Data Is Fair Game In Court

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure why they call it "private data" when it can be used against you in court. :D

All that data, even the allegedly 'private' social media data, is not private but is fair game as e-discovery in civil litigation. Another study found who you are digitally on Facebook is who you are offline in real life. Lastly, the more data we overshare on social media, the more it becomes the "norm" for society . . . meaning for society as a whole, it lowers what is considered a reasonable expectation of privacy.

That's why people should stop posting stupid stuff on Facebook that gets them in trouble such as:
  • Duckfaces
  • Picture of you near the toilet
  • Acting all "gangsta" when you're nothing more than a middle-income child in a preppy neighborhood
  • Posting how much you hate your boss and how you'd like to show him the other end of a 12-gauge
  • Stating how bad the government is and how you want to "fix" it
  • Crying over breaking up with your long-time girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife and expecting sympathy from the general public
  • Posing like a 20-something model when you're only in high school or middle school
  • Posing with a BB-gun replica of an AR-33 rifle and thinking you're some diehard military afficianado
  • Posting achievements of Farmville and Mafia Wars
  • Posting your private contact information publicly available to everyone
I'm sure there is more but given the Internet, that should be a good fraction of it.

They can stop doing the above or quit Facebook entirely.

with such basic principles of "if records exist of x happening, it will be used against you." There is a reason that corporations love shreaders and deleting critical emails that could be critical for users under "legal evidence destruction" (you can typically destroy all the evidence you want before legal action begins against you, see a [n unethical] lawyer before doing it yourself).

The recent issue of encrypted data is a bit of a sideshow, US law has been like that since before enigma.

The only real difference with facebook is that it doesn't take a huge fishing expidition to dig up the dirt. They only have to look at your facebook (and possibly lure you to friend a decoy), and an idiot (i.e. facebook user) will give them anything. I'd be more worried about having all emails and phone calls pulled.

and this is why i only use facebook to talk and be friends and family and don't post every thing i do on my page

with such basic principles of "if records exist of x happening, it will be used against you." There is a reason that corporations love shreaders and deleting critical emails that could be critical for users under "legal evidence destruction" (you can typically destroy all the evidence you want before legal action begins against you, see a [n unethical] lawyer before doing it yourself).

The recent issue of encrypted data is a bit of a sideshow, US law has been like that since before enigma.

The only real difference with facebook is that it doesn't take a huge fishing expidition to dig up the dirt. They only have to look at your facebook (and possibly lure you to friend a decoy), and an idiot (i.e. facebook user) will give them anything. I'd be more worried about having all emails and phone calls pulled.

Very true.

As for company emails I believe the standard is, as long as you are following your "retention policy" you can get rid of any emails you want as long as they are not under legel action at the time.

Due to this many companies that never deleted emails in the past now limit their length of time. Where I worked all emails downloaded to your computer, but they changed eliminated that ability and started wiping emails after 3 years, and that gradually has been decreased to 15 montsh (heading for 1 year I believe.)

I resent facebook and would happily quit it in a heartbeat if all my friends didn't use it.

That's why people should stop posting stupid stuff on Facebook that gets them in trouble such as:
  • Duckfaces
  • Picture of you near the toilet
  • Acting all "gangsta" when you're nothing more than a middle-income child in a preppy neighborhood
  • Posting how much you hate your boss and how you'd like to show him the other end of a 12-gauge
  • Stating how bad the government is and how you want to "fix" it
  • Crying over breaking up with your long-time girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife and expecting sympathy from the general public
  • Posing like a 20-something model when you're only in high school or middle school
  • Posing with a BB-gun replica of an AR-33 rifle and thinking you're some diehard military afficianado
  • Posting achievements of Farmville and Mafia Wars
  • Posting your private contact information publicly available to everyone
I'm sure there is more but given the Internet, that should be a good fraction of it.

They can stop doing the above or quit Facebook entirely.

You forgot about posting vacation plans or pictures of major puchases, so the crooks can rob them while they are gone.

I resent facebook and would happily quit it in a heartbeat if all my friends didn't use it.

I refuse to have a facebook account and hate companies that have moved alot of thier advertising and deals/coupons to facebook. I end up doing LESS business with them.

Something private on Facebook? Don't think so.

I refuse to have a facebook account and hate companies that have moved alot of thier advertising and deals/coupons to facebook. I end up doing LESS business with them.

Ditto.

Back