Windows 8 Laptops With A Built In Kinect?

HardOCP News

[H] News
A laptop with a built in Kinect? As much as I hate to admit it, that actually sounds kind of cool.

The Daily had a chance to check out a pair of prototypes incorporating Kinect sensors over the last few days. The devices, which at first glance appear to be Asus netbooks running Windows 8, feature an array of small sensors stretching over the top of the screen where the webcam would normally be. At the bottom of the display is a set of what appear to be LEDs.

That sounds pretty damn awesome... I just have no idea what i'd usei t for... but I'm sure people will come up with stuff I'll find entertaining/useful.

I have a Kinect for Windows on pre-order, Microsoft hasn't even announced exactly what this will support but I would think the big thing would be improvement in close range hand tracking, at lteat that's what I;m hoping for, there's a lot of cool things that could be done with that if its fast and accurate enough.

Touch screen = no.

Touch nothing = yes.

Now I have an excuse to elbow that jerk sitting next to me on the plane. "Sorry, was changing tabs."

A laptop with a built in Kinect? As much as I hate to admit it, that actually sounds kind of cool.

Given how god-awful Windows 8 is, this might just be the only way Microsoft can actually get anybody to willingly spend cash on an operating system that tried to make an interface WORSE than Gnome 2.x... and succeeded.

TV commercial concept: man sitting on park bench with Kinect-enabled laptop; typing. Man places laptop on park bench, facing the sidewalk, stands approximately ten feet in front of it. Man performs awkward, complicated body and flailing arm movements for approximately 20 seconds. Bystanders stop to stare. Windows 8 logo. Microsoft logo.

Can't miss.

Doesnt asus make it's own motion sensor called the Asus Xtion Pro? That make more sense than a kinect...especially on an asus laptop.

5894a_223_602eb405f1dad12195a1c7306197f759.jpg

I was actually thinking of using a kinect for windows 8,lol, well windows 8's UI is a hit and miss with people (50 say its god awful, 50 say its okay), I tried it the developer preview, and I'd admit the tiles are pretty awkward in the desktop, id give a thumbs up though for how everything else works ( especially switching between anything), but its really perfect for a tablet, if MS can pull off touch off screen ala minority report or start a trend, then this will be the next big thing in computer interaction. thinking of a minority report style UI for our NOC in the office makes me drool,lol

I was actually thinking of using a kinect for windows 8,lol, well windows 8's UI is a hit and miss with people (50 say its god awful, 50 say its okay), I tried it the developer preview, and I'd admit the tiles are pretty awkward in the desktop, id give a thumbs up though for how everything else works ( especially switching between anything), but its really perfect for a tablet, if MS can pull off touch off screen ala minority report or start a trend, then this will be the next big thing in computer interaction. thinking of a minority report style UI for our NOC in the office makes me drool,lol

It doesn't work in actual real life. One thing you will notice by holding your arms out for about 2 minutes, is that your arms will get very tired very quickly. Its not really something to "enhanse" the PC usage market, because it just doesn't work. You wouldn't be able to work like that all day without taking constant breaks, so productivity would be demolished, along with all the chances for injury, which no buisness would exactly be crawling over each other for.

With metro, its more 95 say its awful and 5 says it's ok...:D

They need to make a Mcdonalds with a built in Kinect.

You have to dance for your order and dance to make the doors open.

TV commercial concept: man sitting on park bench with Kinect-enabled laptop; typing. Man places laptop on park bench, facing the sidewalk, stands approximately ten feet in front of it. Man performs awkward, complicated body and flailing arm movements for approximately 20 seconds. Bystanders stop to stare. Windows 8 logo. Microsoft logo.

Can't miss.

If that sort of advert has any basis in reality, the laptop would be stolen by one of the bystanders at some point as it isn't within easy reach of the owner.

Can't miss.

It doesn't work in actual real life. One thing you will notice by holding your arms out for about 2 minutes, is that your arms will get very tired very quickly. Its not really something to "enhanse" the PC usage market, because it just doesn't work. You wouldn't be able to work like that all day without taking constant breaks, so productivity would be demolished, along with all the chances for injury, which no buisness would exactly be crawling over each other for.

With metro, its more 95 say its awful and 5 says it's ok...:D

Not at all what the point of Kinect in on a PC. If you've kept up with the development the thing that is the hot topic with Kinect PC is close range hand gestures.

I hope Microsoft pays all those early Kinect hackers that made Microsoft realise that Kinect will make more money on PC than Xbox.

I hope Microsoft pays all those early Kinect hackers that made Microsoft realise that Kinect will make more money on PC than Xbox.

I've been wanting something like this for my HTPC forever. Screw laptops. Let me change volume, channels, pause, skip, and go through family slideshows all with gestures. That's holy batman crappants awesome.

Back