Game Developer "Feel Good" Story of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
So, you are in the Air Force and stationed in Afghanistan. You want to play your favorite game but you can't because it is only available as a digital download and, as you can imagine, internet access over there sucks. Normally, that would be the end of the story but, thanks to the developers of the game being all around awesome guys, this story has a good ending. Thanks to Paul Hofmann for the heads up!

"We're humbled by the kind of reaction the game has received from players. We respond to every fan email we get because we think it's well worthwhile to treat our customers the way we'd like to be treated. Besides which, we wouldn't be able to do any of this if not for them."

I had looked into this game and couldn't pull the trigger, but I like companies like this, so, I purchased it at full price. Not a hooray for me but I just wanted to throw them my support!

From what I read this game is a really good too!

SuperGiantGames has always been known for being, well, Super Awesome.

They also helped a couple for their wedding: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/11/bastion-wedding.ars

These people deserve every single penny for their work. I wish Bastion would've been an even greater hit, they are far above AAA game dev companies as far as dedication for their fans is concerned.

Bastion was actually a pretty big hit. It gave them enough money to entirely self fund their next title.

They also sent him a Bastion bandana because they thought it might be useful out there. Yeah, I don't think a soldier should be wearing this. It might be useful at making him a better target.
bastion-bandana.jpg

Bastion is a great game, kudos to the devs for doing this.

On a different note, this wouldn't be possible with diablo 3, since there's no single player offline mode.

They also sent him a Bastion bandana because they thought it might be useful out there. Yeah, I don't think a soldier should be wearing this. It might be useful at making him a better target.
bastion-bandana.jpg

Might be useful during the off-hours & USAF officers are rarely doing ground combat (unless there's a sniper taking shots into a camp or base).

I am over here too. (Army so not near an airfield) Web access is satellite. If you were around for the 56k dial up days, its like the mid 90's all over again. (just missing the AOL disks) The big pain is when family send PC games and you install and need a patch to play (Mass Effect) We do see some games for PS3 & Xbox but never any PC games. Would be great to be able to get sent PC games or even an option for patches to get sent over here.

Its not just the speed but also you get a data cap of 10 to 20gigs. Lag is the other issue.

Don't get me wrong we love the care packages that get sent to us, but can only eat so many sweets/read so many books/watch dvds. Would be great to see some PC games in there. Don't need to be the current games as most dont have gaming laptops over here. (so want to try the new Star Wars MMO but will have to wait til the summer when they send me home)

Just glad to see we can enjoy some PC goodness while over here!

PS

Should someone turn us all in for pirating over here to get a quick trip to the states? Move over Mr Dotcom!

Back