Stay classy Nvidia! Viral marketing discovered at chiphell, Kepler rumors debunked

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoleras

2[H]4U
Many forums in China all have various articles about Kepler being inexpensive, HD7900 will plummet in price etc. Looking at the internation forums, there isn't any reports about it. All the editors "uncovering leaked" information in the major forums is clearly NV's (Nvidia) PR using the flooder(people who mass comment on forums) army to suppress the HD7900's selling and its lead. I will lock any Chiphell posts, and I hope that any other members reposting [GF104 rumors] will self-discipline.

rough chinese translation. ALL of the posts related to kepler being 299$ from chiphell, and speculated performance, were from marketing shills (proven by the owners of the forum) and have been banned.

Keep it classy Nvidia.

source:

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-349828-1-1.html

Last edited:
So one manufacturer is spreading false rumors about another, or about unreleased products? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

So one manufacturer is spreading false rumors about another, or about unreleased products? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

They usually do a better job than this though. Kinda embarrassing actually getting caught doing it.

ok i'm confused (happens easily)

say what, now?

Nvidia hired 'actors' to post positive rumors about Kepler and downplay AMD's 7900 series on various forums.

They actually have a proven history of doing this in the past, so it wouldn't be surprising if this turns out to be true.

Nvidia hired 'actors' to post positive rumors about Kepler and downplay AMD's 7900 series on various forums.

They actually have a proven history of doing this in the past, so it wouldn't be surprising if this turns out to be true.

wow, suddenly some of the posts i've seen on [H] are beginning to make sense...

All the ones from people who have not been on the forums for more then 6 months posting bashing comments on AMD.

haha, funny. i found it odd nvidia was "leaking" information about some killer mid-range chip only 2 weeks after CES...

Isn't the whole point of "viral" mrketing that it doesn't need to be "discovered" by investigative journalism? This is just normal industry fluff, like the bulldozer is "the fastest CPU in the world". It means 0 conclusive "proof" about anything either way and should just be ignored. Who cares if it says "it will be $300" is that legally binding?

I don't think any company hires actors to post on forums. Way too much effort for so little gain, as the high end isn't their biggest source of income. Would be more profitable to hire checkout people to talk about mid/low range nvidia/whatever.

I don't think any company hires actors to post on forums. Way too much effort for so little gain, as the high end isn't their biggest source of income. Would be more profitable to hire checkout people to talk about mid/low range nvidia/whatever.

One hired actor can make a lot of fucking posts, though. The sale price of 2 cards, or likely 10 chips (out of thousands) could pay their salary with ease.

From ChipHell

Several media are a variety of domestic Kepler low prices, HD7900 will follow the diving like the article, take a look at the foreign media, who did not even reported, along with some media editors forum explosive in the major so-called "material "It is clear that a variety of moves NV's marketing activities in the water behind the army to suppress the HD7900 as well as leading the sales momentum, CHH to see these posts I will lock posts, I hope the members can self-load.

Same site started some of the rumors. I think the rumors got out of control and AMD is asking for help $$$$. Who knows what to believe. I do believe the official word from NVIDIA mocking the performance of HD7970. I think these rumors have some truth to them as well. Come on GK104 baby!

Isn't the whole point of "viral" mrketing that it doesn't need to be "discovered" by investigative journalism? This is just normal industry fluff, like the bulldozer is "the fastest CPU in the world". It means 0 conclusive "proof" about anything either way and should just be ignored. Who cares if it says "it will be $300" is that legally binding?

you can also add the GTX 400 series to that as well.. 6 months of bullcrap marketing about how great fermi will be and pushed rumors of a card that was never even released(which eventually became the GTX 580 but should of been the GTX 480 from the start).

they aren't actors per-say, they are just bottom tier marketers usually.. but i have a feeling in this case it was just a bunch of dumb asses thinking they were cool as shit posting bogus information, but we'll see what it ends up being when the GTX 660 is released.

There's always a circus leading up to a Nvidia launch.
I like AMDs no nonsense approach more but hardware is the only thing that matters in the end.

And AMD is winning so far...

Yup...best card for the money gets my business, don't care what company it's from.

One hired actor can make a lot of fucking posts, though. The sale price of 2 cards, or likely 10 chips (out of thousands) could pay their salary with ease.

All companies have fleets of fanboys. I mean look at any thread about bulldozer, or any video card. You will find fleets of people fighting to the interwebs death over "their" products. Why would they need to pay more?

so many rumor threads about kepler, who cares, no one has had it in their hands yet, no one knows nothin.

From ChipHell

Same site started some of the rumors. I think the rumors got out of control and AMD is asking for help $$$$. Who knows what to believe. I do believe the official word from NVIDIA mocking the performance of HD7970. I think these rumors have some truth to them as well. Come on GK104 baby!

last i remember that was technically unofficial off the record word from a nvidia spokes person, not an official statement from Nvidia its self.

so many rumor threads about kepler, who cares, no one has had it in their hands yet, no one knows nothin.

with the lack of leaked info it actually makes me wonder if there is a single card that exists with the GK104 GPU on it.. Nvidia doesn't as tight of a ship as AMD does so if the card existed some numbers would of been released by now, yet there isn't anything.

rough chinese translation. ALL of the posts related to kepler being 299$ from chiphell, and speculated performance, were from marketing shills (proven by the owners of the forum) and have been banned.

Several media are a variety of domestic Kepler low prices, HD7900 will follow the diving like the article, take a look at the foreign media, who did not even reported, along with some media editors forum explosive in the major so-called "material "It is clear that a variety of moves NV's marketing activities in the water behind the army to suppress the HD7900 as well as leading the sales momentum, CHH to see these posts I will lock posts, I hope the members can self-load.

Charlie from SA was bamboozled as well. Keep it classy Nvidia.

source:

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-349828-1-1.html

buddy you need help... seriously

True or not, people make it sound as if nVidia is the enemy and as if there wasn't a TON of complete bullshit leading up to the Bulldozer release.

All companies do shit like this, it's nothing new.

VERY sloppy of nvidia to get caught like this. They usually do a MUCH better job.

[H] Benchmarks FTW!

Trying to wrap my head around this... :confused:

So, the most recent rumors I've read around forums like [H] and several others pointed out the mid-range Nvidia GK104 as being faster than the 7900-series. The prices posted by rumors went between $299 to $500.

Then, we get rumors stating that Nvidia is disappointed in the Radeon 7900-series performance compared to their upcoming Kepler series. This was something I read a few days ago.

Now, basically, what Chiphell is saying is that the rumors I just mentioned were nothing more than paid actors posting them. Correct?

Trying to wrap my head around this... :confused:

So, the most recent rumors I've read around forums like [H] and several others pointed out the mid-range Nvidia GK104 as being faster than the 7900-series. The prices posted by rumors went between $299 to $500.

Then, we get rumors stating that Nvidia is disappointed in the Radeon 7900-series performance compared to their upcoming Kepler series. This was something I read a few days ago.

Now, basically, what Chiphell is saying is that the rumors I just mentioned were nothing more than paid actors posting them. Correct?

I guess...except for the nVidia saying they were "disappointed" thing. That was a quote from nVidia directly at CES.

Honestly I'm not sure why we're supposed to believe some random, poorly-translated Chinese website over anything else in this case. I'll believe it when I read it on a reputable site.

I guess...except for the nVidia saying they were "disappointed" thing. That was a quote from nVidia directly at CES.

Honestly I'm not sure why we're supposed to believe some random, poorly-translated Chinese website over anything else in this case. I'll believe it when I read it on a reputable site.

Pretty straightforward, most Kepler "leaks" came from the same source at chiphell - and then regurgitated across other sites like fud, etc.

Said source discovered to be a nvidia viral marketer.

Pretty straightforward, most Kepler "leaks" came from the same source at chiphell - and then regurgitated across other sites like fud, etc.

Maybe I missed it but, where exactly is the "proof"?

Wasn't that only the case for the rumor about the release date? The SA rumors about performance and price do not make any reference to that board.

Wasn't that only the case for the rumor about the release date? The SA rumors about performance and price do not make any reference to that board.
I have a feeling that Charlie knew and was handing them more rope to hang themselves with.

Nothing to debunk because there are no facts we can go by....its all BS until NV releases actual hardware instead of just gum flapping.

Why do people use the term viral marketing without knowing what that is?

This is at best, guerilla marketing. It's not viral at all. It's not going to spread. At best it seems like some Nvidiots/trolls on a forum. Viral marketing is something like a Youtube video that people spread around the internet and it snowballs.

xoleras fighting valiantly on several forums at the same time

looks like his breaking news topic on OC.net is about to be closed, because of the misleading title

keep us in the loop buddy :D

First, i'm merely presenting the opposing viewpoint. I'm sorry it offends you. I am neutral when it comes to purchasing graphics hardware, and I have fact bought the past 3 generations of nvidia cards including the 285, 480 and 580 sli. In addition to 5870, 6970, 7970. Now if Kepler is awesome, I won't be offended. I will go out and buy it, because I buy whats best. I'll tell you what I don't like: viral marketing and exaggerated rumors.

Were you around in the 5870 days? This same kind of internet hype / BS was going around back then, especially with the entire anandtech / nvidia focus group fiasco. One of the Anandtech moderators, rollo, was actually part of the nvidia focus group and he would permanently ban anyone who said anything positive about AMD or negative about nvidia. Dont' believe me? google it! You would hear exaggerated claims of GTX 480 being 2x faster than the 5870. How Fermi would absolutely destroy the 5870. Just google nvidia focus group, nvidia did actually hire a firm that does such internet hype / viral marketing, and they had and still have an online group dedicated to such things. Now this kind of stuff I find distasteful.

Now what really happened back then is after 6 months of absolutely worthless talk, the GTX 480 is released and is a power guzzling dust buster -- but 15% faster than 5870. And we all know later that NV perfected the Fermi with the GTX 580, which was and still is a great product.

It really sounds like you want nothing but gushing over-exaggerated positive rumors about Kepler. Seeing as the main perpetrator of those claims was found to be a viral marketer, I think its fair enough to see the opposing view. As with all news and rumors, you have to take the good with the bad - it seems the main source for many of the Kepler "leaks" was not legit. Again, sorry if this offends you.

How are we supposed to know if xoleras isn't a marketer for amd!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back