Radeon HD 7470m issues

GabeEhs

n00b
I recently purchased a HP DV6t Quad Edition laptop with the 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7470M GDDR5 Discrete Graphics card. I tried to play Star Wars: The Old Republic using the high performance mode, and after logging in, the character selection screen is completely black. I can see the cursor and hear the music in the background. I switched to power saver mode (on board gpu), and it plays fine (on low of course). Other games play fine in performance mode as well. Anyone have ideas what could be the problem? My drivers seem up to date. Thanks in advance!

other info:

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
  • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

Hmm, is AA turned on? just general question since i have seen some issues with AA on some games.

Make sure that you are running the game as administrator.

A very fast googleing of the issue showed people saying that a reinstall of the directx runtime and or latest drivers helped them, as in some cases it was a problem detecting proper settings for the resolution (although i doubt that is your case since you can see the cursor).

I couldn't find a specific fix in the fast googleing, nor any indication that the issue is present on one camp only (saw reports of both old and new cards from both camps :S)

The 7470 is not a powerful video card and will most likely only play TOR at medium settings. Its equal or a little slower than the HD 6450 desktop card. SW:TOR is a pretty demanding game even on a system like mine. Bearing all that in mind, I would turn all my settings down, and keep shadows OFF. Gradually raise settings and see what is acceptable for framerates. My wife is playing this with an alienware with a 6850m and the same CPU as you at 1600x900. She has to turn down some of the settings and thats a much, MUCH more powerful card than the 7470.

Thanks for the input guys! Issue finally resolved :)! I updated Catalys Control Center that was released 1/20. You are right Direfox, i can play it on medium with bloom and shadows turned off. I'm getting 45-50 fps while questing, and around 30 fps in populated areas.

My bro is giving me his old 5870m from his gaming laptop. It should fit right?

Thanks for the input guys! Issue finally resolved :)! I updated Catalys Control Center that was released 1/20. You are right Direfox, i can play it on medium with bloom and shadows turned off. I'm getting 45-50 fps while questing, and around 30 fps in populated areas.

My bro is giving me his old 5870m from his gaming laptop. It should fit right?

depends on how the gpu is placed on that laptop. if it uses dedicated memory thats soldered onto the motherboard its self, then no since it will use a different type of memory, but you can try.

Back