10yrs Ago Today: Cable Sleeving Was HOT!

HardOCP News

[H] News
What was the hot new thing back in 2002? Sleeving power supply cables. Fast forward to today and you wouldn't buy a PSU that wasn't sleeved. :)

Another really cool mod that will spiff up the looks in your case and aid in airflow is this technique of putting "sleeves" around your PSU cables. I gotta admit, it looks sweet, and it is hella better than the old "black electrical tape" method.

I was making my own sleeved cables a good year or 2 before they came to market. I got the idea from a floppy cable that split into 2 pieces. I thought to myself, "wow, I should start splitting cables and selling them to people." Too bad my addiction to CS got in the way of doing something with it...

I fully sleeved a PSU from forever ago, NEVER AGAIN.

I was making my own sleeved cables a good year or 2 before they came to market. I got the idea from a floppy cable that split into 2 pieces. I thought to myself, "wow, I should start splitting cables and selling them to people." Too bad my addiction to CS got in the way of doing something with it...

Oops, I was thinking of rounded IDE cables. Ugh, sorry it's been a long day without caffeine...

No pics so it didn't happen!! Back in early 2000s I used plastic corrugated tubing/auto loom to hide computer wiring..

Corrugated-Tubing-NL206-H-Series-.jpg

Cable sleeving got popular in 2001 when computers started having windows on the side. Just compare MaximumPC's Dream Machine 2000..

dream-machine-2000_lg.jpg

with their DM 2001 machine..

dream-machine-three-2001_lg.jpg

The good old days of sleeving PSUs, splitting PATA and floppy cables..... where are we now, how I miss you so.

NOT!

I have nightmares about sleeving my old psu's. God it was just...horrible...absolutely horrible.

I always used electrical tape on my older power supply's. It actually looked very good when done correctly. I'll still do it to cloth covered cable that still split into several cables.

yeah i used to buy unsleeved power supplies, but now im all like IT PUTS THE SLEEVE ROUND THE CABLE OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN

I only really sleeved my ribbon cables, attempted one PSU and sliced through too many wires to go all the way with it.

What was the hot new thing back in 2002? Sleeving power supply cables. Fast forward to today and you wouldn't buy a PSU that wasn't sleeved. :)
Sure I would if the price and quality was right, sadly it seems all but the bottom of the barrel PSUs are sleeved nowadays.

I could get a crap if manufacturers put sleeving over their wires/cables. I'm going to remove it and individually sleeve them anyways. :D

I also prefer the bundle of wires unsleeved as it makes them more flexible and easier to maneuver. XFX I'm watching you.

I always used electrical tape on my older power supply's. It actually looked very good when done correctly. I'll still do it to cloth covered cable that still split into several cables.
Expert at this. Cheap, fast and the idea of unplugging every connector seemed unnecessarily painful. Better airflow, too. :)

Seems today are still alot PSUs sold without sleeved wiring. The cheaper ones and those built in cases already are hardly sleeved. Sleeved and modular PSU are extra features and mostly found in enthusiast/gaming PSUs.
In basic principle not much has changed with stuff inside the case, hardcore overclockers still cool with water and so on. Most notable change with computers over a time are LCD monitors. Seems that's the only thing that changed the design of all computers. While components inside are greatly faster, the technical principle remains the same.

That's a little sleeving.. and a LOT of plumbing!!
syrinix_36.jpg

Mashie.. you probably did EVERYTHING possible that can be done to a computer YEARS before anyone else did!!

Back