Megaupload Bail Decision Delayed, More Arrests Made

HardOCP News

[H] News
This story just gets weirder and weirder as it goes. The stuff that came out during the bail hearing is just bizarre. Who has four dozen credit cards? New Zealand gave this guy permanent residency only after he invested $10M in government bonds? Heh, this just gets better and better.

In a New Zealand court today, a judge delayed the decision to grant or deny bail to Kim Dotcom, the larger than life founder of Megaupload.com. The prosecutor said that since multi-millionaire Dotcom had multiple identities, four dozen credit cards and a history of “fleeing criminal charges” he represented a flight risk “on the extreme end of the scale”. In the meantime, two other site operators were arrested in Europe.

I am still wondering why he went to New Zealand instead of another non-Extradiction country......

New Zealand gave this guy permanent residency only after he invested $10M in government bonds?

Not exactly shocking, you invest megabucks in US companies and you get your VIsa/Green Cards fast tracked ahead of EVERYONE else.

Dotcom is merely a collector of credit cards

I am the opposite of Mr. Dotcom.. I am merely a collector of credit card bills!!

credit-cards5.jpg

/grabs popcorn
/puts on 3D glasses
/pulls up a chair

I'm ready for the show. I all for due process but damn this is getting good. I really want to know what their evidence is.

Love that they took 76 law enforcement personnel with them to arrest the guy. Must have been a really slow day around that precinct. That said, I remember when he was known as Kimble and he fled German authorities, so I kind of doubt he will get bail.

The REAL reason on why MegaUpload was taken down and they the US Feds are rounding up all.

Why was MegaUpload really shut down?

In December of 2011, just weeks before the takedown, Digital Music News reported on something new that the creators of #Megaupload were about to unroll. Something that would rock the music industry to its core. (http://goo.gl/A7wUZ)

I present to you... MegaBox. MegaBox was going to be an alternative music store that was entirely cloud-based and offered artists a better money-making opportunity than they would get with any record label.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

Source:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/1113140...iwAWq#111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq

Leave it to the USA aka USSK

Sorry but the USA has turned into a dictatorship and a police state. You go against the big boys and they the criminals on capital hill will just send the military or the feds after you.

Wait, they arrested the graphic artist? I agree, the site was an almost criminal shade of yellow, but still...

Wait, they arrested the graphic artist? I agree, the site was an almost criminal shade of yellow, but still...

Well broadcast gamut colors are called "legal" colors... So perhaps they are finally enforcing this. :D

Well broadcast gamut colors are called "legal" colors... So perhaps they are finally enforcing this. :D

LOL, with the number of DVDs and blue rays that I have that have incorrect color gamut, I certainly hope they are. They would have to put all the majors out of business also. Maybe then I could get a product that was worth a shit.;)

I don't quite understand, were they not complying with copyrighted removals or something? It would be impossible to avoid somebody upload copyrighted things to any large storage site. Without manually searching every file, how could they tell unless it was reported? Wouldn't this be the same as dropbox? What if I upload a couple songs to there?

I understand copyrighted material was rampant on that site.. But unless megaupload ignored takedown requests or didn't investigate how is it the companies fault?

I don't quite understand, were they not complying with copyrighted removals or something? It would be impossible to avoid somebody upload copyrighted things to any large storage site. Without manually searching every file, how could they tell unless it was reported? Wouldn't this be the same as dropbox? What if I upload a couple songs to there?

I understand copyrighted material was rampant on that site.. But unless megaupload ignored takedown requests or didn't investigate how is it the companies fault?

Apparently, not only did they ignore take downs but they even covered up the fact and conspired to distribute the material anyway.

Can't help but think this idiot had it made if he just followed the law. Infringement is rampant on Youtube also. They aren't getting pinched anytime soon because they remove it when they are asked to.

From what's been reported, tho no one knows for sure yet it's all in how the DMCA was complied with. To save storage space they actually used md5 sums or something similar, and if the file already existed on the servers, just created a new link to the current file rather then store the same one multiple times. When a DMCA was filed, they would remove the link that was filed, but not the file itself leaving the other links still working.

The big charge against them is that they were paying people to upload pirated content, and that they intentionally only removed the link to the content after a DMCA takedown request, not the actual content.

The REAL reason on why MegaUpload was taken down and they the US Feds are rounding up all.

Why was MegaUpload really shut down?

In December of 2011, just weeks before the takedown, Digital Music News reported on something new that the creators of #Megaupload were about to unroll. Something that would rock the music industry to its core. (http://goo.gl/A7wUZ)

I present to you... MegaBox. MegaBox was going to be an alternative music store that was entirely cloud-based and offered artists a better money-making opportunity than they would get with any record label.

"UMG knows that we are going to compete with them via our own music venture called Megabox.com, a site that will soon allow artists to sell their creations directly to consumers while allowing artists to keep 90 percent of earnings," MegaUpload founder Kim 'Dotcom' Schmitz told Torrentfreak

Not only did they plan on allowing artists to keep 90% of their earnings on songs that they sold, they wanted to pay them for songs they let users download for free.

"We have a solution called the Megakey that will allow artists to earn income from users who download music for free," Dotcom outlined. "Yes that's right, we will pay artists even for free downloads. The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works."

Source:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/1113140...iwAWq#111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq

Leave it to the USA aka USSK

Sorry but the USA has turned into a dictatorship and a police state. You go against the big boys and they the criminals on capital hill will just send the military or the feds after you.

If that is true, this guy is an idiot. He should have spun off the idea (different corporation) so that it could have been implemented anyways. The labels will stop at nothing to keep control of their artist. If an artist can go no-label and be successful, it's a major issue.

A top NZ lawyer told the media that this case will take 'years'.

I hope you all have a large supply of popcorn.

Sad thing is even if they are cleared of all charges and have all their money and gear returned, by the time it happens everyone will have forgotten about MegaUpload. Who knows will we even have piracy/file lockers/p2p at all? (hopefully Hollywood has gone bankrupt by then too). So what ever happens I do not think we will ever see MegaUpload (or all the innocent files caught up in this) come back.

Thats what happens when the judges are bought and paid for by the MPAA and RIAA. Also lets not forget the back room threats that the USA Gov does to force other countries to comply.

.... I think it's more, that's what happens when you have a history of fleeing (germany), have several passports and 30+ credit cards in other people's names in your residence, and before the bail hearing starts, tell the feds about a secret account they didn't raid / find containing 300k cash. Yeah, I would think he is high risk of flight too

If that is true, this guy is an idiot. He should have spun off the idea (different corporation) so that it could have been implemented anyways. The labels will stop at nothing to keep control of their artist. If an artist can go no-label and be successful, it's a major issue.

It's not true. This was an on going investigation, the people who believe it's related to a Dec. 2011 announcement are idiots.

Grizz must be so upset. :(

.... I think it's more, that's what happens when you have a history of fleeing (germany), have several passports and 30+ credit cards in other people's names in your residence, and before the bail hearing starts, tell the feds about a secret account they didn't raid / find containing 300k cash. Yeah, I would think he is high risk of flight too

Yeah, I have a lot of problems with this case, but this isn't one of them. Someone with a shitton of money, multiple identities, and a history of fleeing the police is in fact a flight risk.

I used megaupload back in 2009/2010.... lots of easy FAST streaming, but the time limits and greed is what got them shut down. You would have 45 minutes to watch any movie file on there (streamed free instantly), but at 45:01 minutes, a popup would come up saying you had to wait 54 minutes to watch another 45 minutes.... OR... you could pay and watch now.

Nobody else did that, and it baited people into paying.....

Anyways.... this one is down, they only have about 25+ streaming sites to close down now! hahahah, will never happen! suckers, you can't stop entertainment sharing! Get real

It's not true. This was an on going investigation, the people who believe it's related to a Dec. 2011 announcement are idiots.

Grizz must be so upset. :(

LOL, ongoing huh. Where did that come from our bought and paid for news media and gov. Please dont tell me you watch the main stream news on tv and then believe the utter bulshit that is trouted on them.

Look at the sources and what I see so far is that our own gov is nothing but crooks, liers, thieves and insider trading fools who can do what they want when they want.

This whole case wouldnt surprise me one bit if it comes out at the end that this was nothing but a scam and a huge lie by our gov to get megaupload shut down because of the MPAA and RIAA.

And one more thing to take a gander at.

Look no further than our own gov inref to the "Fast and Furious" bullshit. How much cover ups and taking people down has happened because of that. How much has our own mainstream news media lied and covered up the true facts.

it has taken the internet to get the truth out and to let our gov officials know that we know the real truth and here is the goods on them. In the end I do not know what will happen with megaupload but I can say this, something does not smell right about this. 76+ agents raided the guys place, yea right.

Kim Dotcom did the media companies a damn favor.

He laid out a system where you could make lots of money by streaming media and allowing DRM-free file downloads.

But of course the industry is going to ignore the profitable blueprint he laid out and instead just keep pouring money into politician's coffers.

LOL, ongoing huh. Where did that come from our bought and paid for news media and gov. Please dont tell me you watch the main stream news on tv and then believe the utter bulshit that is trouted on them.

Look at the sources and what I see so far is that our own gov is nothing but crooks, liers, thieves and insider trading fools who can do what they want when they want.

This whole case wouldnt surprise me one bit if it comes out at the end that this was nothing but a scam and a huge lie by our gov to get megaupload shut down because of the MPAA and RIAA.
So in less than a months time, they sifted through all of MegaUpload's internal files, many of which were several years old and probably purged from the server by then, in order to gather evidence for the case?

Is part of the conspiracy that the government is hiding a time machine from us, too?

So in less than a months time, they sifted through all of MegaUpload's internal files, many of which were several years old and probably purged from the server by then, in order to gather evidence for the case?

Is part of the conspiracy that the government is hiding a time machine from us, too?

ROFL your kidding right. Holy crap you must be a shill............................and blind as a bat. Keep drinking that koolaid must be some damn good stuff to tow the party line.

Note: I never said in less than a months time inref to this.

ROFL your kidding right. Holy crap you must be a shill............................and blind as a bat. Keep drinking that koolaid must be some damn good stuff to tow the party line.

Note: I never said in less than a months time inref to this.

Your evidence comes from YouTube videos and a 17 year old's blog. You're like a truther only they're just crazy, you just want free downloads.

The investigation could have been on-going for decades, I think it's when the investigation started (what got the law's attention) and when the bust happens (timing can be important in cases where there are ties to bills, government, hot topics, current public issues, links to other cases, etc) that's more important.

Note: The above implies nothing.

I'm sure pressure from the RIAA and MPAA on some congress person spurred the case along, but that's really not uncommon at all. That's what lobbies do. That doesn't mean they have their hands in the pockets of the FBI or that they forced them to issue an indictment as a result of MU's new business idea. Perhaps related to SOPA, but they weren't going to release anything until they were ready, no matter what.

And despite what a 17 year old girl thinks, you do not just buy your way into the FBI's favor, especially post-9/11 and in a wide case like this.

Your evidence comes from YouTube videos and a 17 year old's blog. You're like a truther only they're just crazy, you just want free downloads.

Now your real true colors comes our when you said I am a like a truther. You just can not stand the fact that our court and justice system is bought and paid for by big corp. hell the MPAA and RIAA can just steam roll over anyone they want and guess who has their backs yup thats right our court system.

Free downloads, your the crazy one now to think that. I am willing to pay for what I have period. I also do believe 100 percent of the time that a company does infact have to make a profit inorder to grow and invest with. So right back you for insuating that I am a pirate and F you, dont ever think or even insuate that I am a pirate or all I want is to be able to download shit for free.

Youtube vids, again ROFL and LMAO right at you. You are a corp shill and will spew the bullshit just like the best of them. You have done nothing but tow the party line and have even went to bat for the so called good guys. Hey do you work for Chris Dodd ( MPAA ) or how about the RIAA.

The investory plus catagory.

In developed nations corruption is just called investement.

This whole thing is seriously fishy as hell. First the info about his upcoming music service and now his bail decision is being delayed? Why would they NOT let him out on bail? He's not a murderer or pedophile and poses no danger to anyone, yet his bail is being dicked around with and they're not allowing it as of yet? If that's not fishy as fuck, then nothing is.

The entertainment corporations and the pieces of the government(s) that they make up disgust me. I'm convinced there are things going on behind the scenes.

Maybe they wont let him out on bail because he is a flight risk?

Because he is the only big overweight guy in all of newzealand?

A flight risk? Because he's a big, overweight guy? LOL :p

Or are you talking about something else? :confused:
As someone on the previous page said...

Back